ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Final Finished Object of 2006!

And what do you think it is, my friends? A lace shawl? A fair isle sweater of my own handspun? Aww, you overestimate my mad knitting skills; you're too kind.

My final FO of 2006 is. . .

A Felted Cat Bed!

cat bed

Started: December 21
Ended: December 28
# Times trying to felt: 3 (I think -- ZMrK did a couple of runs while I was working)
Pattern: See above link (Wendy Knits)
Needle Size: 13
Yarn: JoAnn Sensations yarn (I purchased a bunch of this yarn about a year and 1/2 ago) -- I went a few yards into the 5th skein (approx. 87 yards/skein). It's a nice olive green with yellow and orange flecks in it, and got a nice camoflauge look when it was done.
Trim Yarn: Skacel Gatto in a nice kitty barf color. ZMrK won a bag of this as a door prize at the Boston Knit Out. This stuff is a bitch to work with, but it looks really cool felted into the pattern. Nice and muppet like:

IMG_4455
IMG_4454

(about the turtle. . . I had gone into PetCo to get the cats a new water dish, saw this, and had to buy it. What cat wouldn't want to attack a red eared slider???)

The cats' initial reaction? Indifference. I tried to put Solvie in it and she freaked out, but that's probably more because I was picking her up than because I was trying to put her into a cat bed laced with catnip. In the middle of the night last night, she got her claw stuck in the blanket and started freaking out and hissing. She's almost back to her pre-near-death-experience self.

We finally got Zelia to go into it, by picking her up when she was sleeping and just plopping her in there:

zelia bed3

zelia bed2

We helped by giving her a little friend to snuggle with:

zelia vel bed

Of course, this is how she ended up sleeping in it:

zelia bed

And she slept there the whole time we were gone today, it seems (over four hours).

Happy New Year!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

awww... your kitty looks rather happy with the finished product -- of course you won't know if it's a HUGE success until both cats try to get into it at once. :D

8:52 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cool cat bed!

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitting ability aside, I'm sure I haven't overestimated the capacity of your washing machine!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like the cat bed is a hit with its inhabitant! Happy New Year to you, the husband, and the (obviously comfy) kitty in its new bed!

12:08 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Only 4 hours - is your cat an insomniac?

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, this is absolutely amazing! And it seems that it was just the perfect gift - your lil' furry one looks so relaxed and comfortable in it! Fantastic!

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...Zelia looks so happy to have squashed that cat bed underneath herself. I wonder if she was trying to lay on the furry Gatto edge. However the two of them choose to use it, it's a great looking cat bed.

Buddy the Cat has that same turtle. He loves it, I think because it makes crunchy sounds.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home