ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Risks

I'm not the sort of person to take risks. At least not when it comes to my crafts. I suppose it is because my pre-knitting craft was sewing, and if you fuck up a project, you fuck up the materials (fabric, thread, etc.) and probably have to throw it all out.

I've been playing it pretty vanilla with my knitting. Why? If I fuck up, all I have to do is frog, then I have more yarn to play with, right? As long as I don't use mohair, that is, but mohair makes me want to poke my own eyes out.

So, I've decided to take a few risks and tackle a few projects I haven't tried before. I'm going to tackle lace and a little bit of designing. I've done a lot of "mindless knitting", row after row of stockinette or a simple lace-ish pattern, but I haven't really pushed myself before. Now I need to think and maybe even do some math. I'm not even going to go into detail about what I am going to do, because if I'm going about it wrong people will tell me, and I'd like to make my mistakes and learn from them.

I hope that I will eventually have some awesome finished objects to show off. If I don't, I will tell you about my distasters.

Wish me luck!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

Very cool! I hear ya about keeping it on the DL. Figuring it out by yourself is more fun and really rewarding. I want to branch out some more with my knitting as well.

9:49 AM  
Blogger 3goodrats said...

I keep thinking I should try designing something, but I never know what I like until I see it. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

12:40 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Go for it! Variety is the spice of life. ;)

Good luck! :)

3:24 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I know what you mean about sewing. I've meant to take it up for a while, but have been too terrified of messing up and ruining everything. It's scary and expensive when things go wrong.

Lace isn't too bad. I found that Branching Out is an excellent first lace project because the pattern is interesting yet not too difficult, and there are only 25 stitches or so, which means that you really can count stitches on every row where something happens. And even if BO isn't your style (I know it isn't mine) it makes a great gift.

Can't wait to see pictures of your lace knitting/designing! Sewers usually design the best garments because they understand how clothes are put together.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lime Street said...

Definitely push yourself on the knitting front. It's so gratifying to figure out new techniques and designs by yourself. I applaud your fearlessness!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home