ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Nifty DPN Storage!

So, this week I was on vacation, you know?
We didn't go anywhere, and there were some days I didn't leave the neighborhood.

I had already decided that I wanted to make something fancy for my needles. I have already made a needle case for my straight needles (I used the pattern from one of the Stitch n Bitch books), but wanted something for my DPNs and/or circular needles.

I had some cigar boxes.
I had some spare fabric (ha!).
I had a sewing machine.
I had liquid stitch glue.

So, here we go!

IMG_6462

Here is the outside. It's held closed by a black satin ribbon that wraps around it and tied in a nice bow.

IMG_6463

Open it and marvel at the red velvet lining and Dia de la Muertes fabric.

IMG_6464

The Dia de la Muertes fabric unfolds like an accordian, with DPNs encased in red velvet inside.

IMG_6465

As it unfolds, you can see where my number 3s are missing as I was using them.

IMG_6466

Yes, I even have size 13 DPNs, from a felted purse I made. Don't you wish sometimes you could rent knitting needles?

IMG_6418
IMG_6417

Here's a couple photos of the accordian stretched out. I left 1-inch spaces in between each "page" of needles for folding purposes. Look to the right behind it -- that's why I said "Ha!" when I commented that I had "some spare" fabric. That's only about 1/4 of it!

IMG_6415

A WIP shot. This is how I was able to measure for each individual set of DPNs. What will I do when I get more? I don't know! I'll have to make another one!

The coolest thing about this? It fits on a bookshelf! It's not ON a bookshelf right now, mind you, but if I were to put it on one, it would fit.

This project took a lot of ironing, pinning, and sewing for the interior "accordian", and then a lot of measuring, gluing, and sticky fingers for the exterior. It was pretty well worth it, I think.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is supercool! I especially like the furry leopard print. :D

10:01 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That is awesome! Love the fabrics! Very creative!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm also in awe of your extensive DPN collection!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Super clever! I'm so impressed with people who can make whatever they want - great job. Lots o dpns too :)

3:46 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Now that is one groovy case! Great idea! I'm also liking the needle rental idea. ;)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Bad Amy said...

I love that it expands, and expands, and expands.... and it's super groovy fabric too! Nice.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Sner said...

I love the idea of using a cool old cigar box!! Very neat. Good luck with your Wiltons - I've found them super easy to use, especially with superwash fibre. I've gotten some acid dyes myself to try this summer but I just haven't had the chance yet!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

That's inspired! I love the leopard fur case.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Ok, what would you charge for one of those???

I think you might be onto something with that Needle Rental idea.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Hee hee hee...it looks like my dpn collection! Mitten Queens use lots of dpns!

I am in love with the idea of pimping out a cigar box!

*poops trots off to rummage through the craft room*

8:46 AM  
Blogger Andey Layne said...

Very cool. I want one. Wonder if I have any stray boxes lying around. Hmmm... I do have several tote bags. Maybe I could do the accordian part and tuck it into a tote. Need to make one for my straights, too.

Oh, heck, who am I kidding? It would take me two hours just to FIND all the needles, let alone organize them.

On another note, I see that you have some ChiaoGoo or however you spell it dpns. How do you like them? I ask because I have a set and my yarn seems to catch on the burned-in lettering really badly. I'm wondering if that tends to be true with all of their needles or if I happened to get a not-so-awesome pair.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HOW ARE YOU SO AWESOME? hokey geez. I'm gonna sit here and lick your pictures, okay? :-D

1:30 PM  
Blogger Lime Street said...

It's fabulous! Where did you find the Dia de la Muertes fabric?

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome box! I love the skeletons dancing print.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wow - that is all kinds of awesomeness! Good job!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home