ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Saturday, August 04, 2007

WIP-ing it out!

Today I am going to show you what is on my needles. . .

First up, is a pair of socks, with two different progress photos.

Photo 1, taken Friday at about 6:00 p.m.:

IMG_6808

Photos 2 and 3, taken Saturday at about 4:00 p.m.:

IMG_6817

IMG_6818

The yarn is the KnitPicks Bare that I dyed a few weeks ago. Remember when I hinted that I was going to try to design something? Well, it's not going to happen with this yarn. I tried to incorporate a lace pattern from a stitch dictionary, but that stitch on this yarn just looked like deep fried ass on a stick. So I put it aside and thought about it. Then ZMrK got me the Magic Loop book, and I got some 32" circular needles, and I started looking at patterns again. I saw the Basketweave Rib pattern in Sensational Knitted Socks and said, "Ah, yes! That's it!". I think I was right. It looks awesome, if I do say so myself. I just finished the cuff and am about to start the heel flap -- this pattern has a "princess sole", which is knit side inside, purl side outside. It's* supposed to feel smoother on your sole. We'll see.

The other WIP is a lace project. This is certainly a risk, as it is a vintage pattern with bamboo. I'm not 100% certain it is going to work but I'm having fun doing it.

IMG_6809

I do have another WIP from July 2006. It's* the lace camisole from Vintage Knits. I'm really close to being done but I fucked up the front and am afraid to pick it up again. I've also read comments about the FO being kind of boxy, and I don't really need that. I really should just finish it already. Or frog it. I may move towards finishing it, but if it makes me look like a lavendar barrel it's* going to get frogged. I think I could find another use for 8 skeins of Rowan Cotton.

You know what is fun? Cat mouths. Cats have hiliarous mouths. Look at this picture of Solvie and Ken, eating side by side:

IMG_6823

Solvie looks like she's smiling, and I caught Ken mid-lick. Yes, that is a piece of food on his tongue, not his tooth. Kinda gross. There's also a crumb of food next to his dish. He finished his food, and when Solvie walked away without finishing hers, he went at it. This morning, he didn't finish his food (which was Gerber Baby Food Chicken and Rice -- hey, he wasn't eating for a few days, and we were trying different things), and Solvie finished it for him. They seem to be getting along pretty well.

Ken also likes yarn:

ken2

We have a wooden back scratcher, that has a ribbon loop at one end so it can be hung up. Zelia loved that ribbon more than any other toy. At one point, we attached a length of yarn to the ribbon, and Zelia didn't like it so much. But Ken loves it! He likes yarn a little more than I am comfortable with. He also likes the cords on circular needles. I need to find a way to discourage this, and swinging around a piece of yarn for him to play with is probably not the best thing to do.

But what was it I said about cats' mouths being hilarious?

kenmouth

I have to share something. . . the internet is killing my brain. I just had the hardest time with the possessives and plurals in that sentence! I originally wrote it as "cat's mouth's". I'm also having trouble with "loose/lose", which is another common mistake I see on the internet. I am at the point where, if someone writes "I don't want to lose my place", I have to look at it to make sure it is correct, because so many people write "I don't want to loose my place" that the incorrect word is almost becoming the standard. I feel that's happened with the misused apostrophe. So many people -- and not just people, but businesses, in their ads -- are misusing apostophes (or apostrophe's, as they use it), that it seems to be the standard now. I think I may have to take some basic grammar classes again, and take them from a strict teacher like the ones I had in school. I realized that I have also forgotten my proper penmanship. I know that doesn't matter as much, but I did LEARN how to properly write the letters of the alphabet, but I have been writing in my own style (a mixture of writing and printing) for so long, that I have FORGOTTEN how to properly make an H, for example. This is beginning to trouble me. Please tell me I am not alone.

*Here's an exmaple: did I use the apostrophe correctly here? You use it before the s if you are writing "It is", but you do NOT use it in the possesive form of "its", right? Example: "It's funny that the cat has food on its tongue". Is that correct? Argh! Am I overthinking this? Where are the grammar police when you really want them to come around?

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Ken's a cutie!

It's funny (and yeah I'm pretty sure you were using the apostrophe right with your its/it's) because I went back and republished a blog post this weekend where I talked about the cats and I realized I had written "cat's" when there was nothing to possess.

And here's your post about cats and misused apostrophes. Cosmic dude.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Good call on the socks - I love that basketweave pattern. Like I needed more on the list.

And nice 's. I've worked hard to avoid the Internet-style LOL-speak, no caps, few instances of punctuation, and so on. I get lazy in chatting sometimes, but as a general rule...

4:05 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

An exmaple? Is that like me being an expat Canadian?

Mouths of multiple cats = cats' mouths

4:13 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Good call, Jo. Just think, I spend much of my working hours proofreading what attorneys have written, and making corrections such as the one you just made.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! Your knitting is beautiful, and your cats are hilarious!

I HATE poor grammar and bad spelling! Even with such things as spell checkers, people STILL don't bother to actually read what they write. I was an executive secretary for many years, as well as a word processor (transcribing off tapes), and grammar, punctuation, and spelling were of the utmost importance. I realize that there's an entire generation using Web-speak, but aren't our schools teaching these kids anything? What's worse is that adults are doing the same thing. ARGH!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Your kitties are so cute! Solvie is looking at him and seems to be happy he's there, that's what I call integration success!

It'll take a while till I stop laughing about the "deep fried ass on a stick." Never heard it before, love it.

7:08 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

The socks look great - wonderful dye job you did there! And the pic of Ken mashing on yarn is too funny!

Weeooo weeooo! Grammar Police reporting for duty, as requested: yes, you use the apostrophe in "it's" if it's a contraction of "it is" but not if it's possessive. (See what I did there? ;)). My partner, the Spelling Detective, also notes "exmaple" and let's you off with a warning. ;)

I do most of my writing on my computer. When I actually put pen to paper for more than a few sentences, I discover how much my penmanship sucks now. So no, you're not alone! I'm going to try and rectify that by starting a paper journal. I haven't been successful at keeping one in the past, so we'll see how long that lasts!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Floderten said...

Aaw your kitties are adorable! :) I really like those socks too! Nice pattern; it really pops.

And go Office Monkeys! Whole damn place wouldn't run without us, yes? ;)
Your comment made me laugh; I visualized a guy named Hank who did the scanning, and who kept eating your paper and complaining about "paper being lodged" xD Oh my god.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home