ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I forgot something. . .

I really wanted to announce a "challenge" when I flashed my stash this year.

If you have a stash, that means you have some yarn that has been sitting in the stash for a while. I started knitting around Thanksgiving 2004, and really went a little nutsy buying yarn on eBay in early 2005. I'm sure there are others who have done the same.

Think about that yarn, sitting lonely and neglected in your stash, yearning to be knit and loved as a finished object. That poor yarn just wants to BE something other than a potential Moth Buffet.

Here's the challenge: take something from the deep recesses of your stash bin, and make something!

I'm giving this challenge a deadline of June 20, so we have all spring to do the Spring Stash Clean-up.

My old stash?

- 2 skeins of Noro Kureyon that I intend to make the crocheted cap and wrist warmers from 101 Designer One-Skeins Wonders with. I originally had five skeins of this that I purchased on eBay in an "oooh, shiny!" moment -- I have given away 3 skeins! I've never used it because I haven't liked the way Kureyon feels in the skein, but decided to hold on to a couple of skeins just so I can try it out to see what the hype is.

-- 5-6 skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Slate Blue. I purchased this on eBay to make Tempting from Knitty, almost finished, then realized I had made a couple of mistakes and was sick of the whole thing anyway and frogged it. FIL's wife dropped a hint to me about handknit gifts this winter, so I think she'll get a feather and fan scarf, and maybe a hat or gloves too, depending on how much I end up needing. This may or may not be done by June 20, but at least I've bookmarked it!

What's your plan?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

I've got five skeins of black TLC Cotton Plus that I've been meaning to make SOME top-down sweater out of. I don't stash lots of balls of the same colored yarn, so that's the oldest and one of the few bits of "project" yarn I need to actually make into a project!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Good idea! I think I'll take this as an opportunity to use a few balls of wool-ease for Stephanie Japel's two-toned shrug from Fitted Knits. It's the perfect time of year to wear that shrug, too!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh! excellent plan. my stash turnover rate is high (things either get knitted or swapped) but I have a ton of oddballs that have been around for a while that need to be knitted.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I just made a sweater for my sister in law from yarn that I bought about 4.5 years ago. Does that count?

And I just gave away about 4.5 cubic feet of yarn in the last couple of weeks.

My next plan is to make some toddler projects out of some Plymouth Encore that I just unearthed. I think I bought it about 5 years ago.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Speckel said...

Great idea. I'll have to dig out some really old stuff for this...

12:13 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

The bulk of my stash is newer yarns. When I first started knitting I only bought yarn for specific projects. (HA HA HA HA HA - I know!) It would take some thinking to figure out what the oldest yarn is.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

First of all, I want to come pet your fiber stash! So much loveliness to spin! I have two colors in the stash right now and I need more--can't wait for NHSWF!

My yarn stash is pretty sad these days. I've managed to use some of most everything in there, and it's all feeling a bit...used.

I'm also looking forward to the WEBS tent sale to remedy that as well.

See, my plans all involve stash ENHANCEMENT!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home