ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Veni, vidi . . . Flashed.

Here we are, April 1, and instead of playing practical jokes, I'm flashing my stash!

First up: Fiber!

IMG_9019

As always, you can click on the photo to go to my Flickr account, where you can hit "all sizes" to make the photos bigger.

Here's the same group from another angle:

IMG_9020

I only started buying fiber in December 2006, which is when ZMrK gave me my wheel. I've only really started to spin lately -- this year marks my first "finished" plying attempts.

Once the fiber got packed away, I took out the contents of the first shelf of The Yarn Hutch. The first shelf has mostly sock yarn and laceweight, with some of my fiber (which is represented in the 1st two photos), and some random non-sock and non-lace stuff (like the bag of SWTC Bamboo and bag of Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora).

IMG_9068

Notice that I had taken all of the fiber out of their respective ziploc bags. Once I finally got them all back in their bags and put away, I decided not to attempt the same with the yarn. So my colors may be a bit off. I have posted individual pr0n-y pictures of most of these when I got them, so you've seen most of it before.

Did you notice I had some help?

IMG_9067

IMG_9066

I also keep my handspun on the first shelf. I'd like to find a nice display basket for some, at least until I find something to knit with it.

IMG_9070

Second shelf has mostly heavier weight, sweater-worthy yarn (I have three different yarns for 3 different sweaters there), and more examples of my "oooh, pretty! Buy!" mentality:

IMG_9074

Then comes the third shelf. I call the third shelf the "Scary Shelf", because something from there usually falls on my head (I'm so glad I don't collect bowling balls!). I'm also never quite sure what I'll find up there. Much of the yarn up there is stuff I bought when I was a new-ish knitter, and yes, there is plenty of acrylic. There's also yarn I purchased an estate -- I got an air conditioner box full of yarn for about $40 (and much of it was wool, too). There's yard sale and thrift store yarn. There's weird novelty yarn that was given away at the Boston Knit-Out. Lots of options there!

So, here's a few angles of the Scary Shelf:

IMG_9077

(I overdyed the blue/purple stuff in the lower right hand corner; it was a yucky heathery slate blue.)

IMG_9078

(I'm going to overdye that pink stuff in the corner. This photo does that color justice; it's a dull heathery pink.)

So, that's what is inside the Yarn Hutch.

But wait! There's more!

Next to the Yarn Hutch is a maple dresser that we fished out of our neighbor's trash. It's really adorable, and I'm glad we have it, especially because it serves as More Yarn Storage!

ZMrK's co-worker Jaye has gifted me several bags of yarn from her old foray into knitting. Some of it is here:

IMG_9080

The two kits, the lilac Rowan, and the green in the foreground are the only things not from Jaye.

The bags of yarn also contained a WIP and a FO.

IMG_9081

The FO is a cowl, knit in blue alpaca. I probably should have taken it out during the winter, especially on those frigid windy days, but I can wait until next year. I'm not sure what the WIP was intended to be.

These are my newest fibery acquisitions.

IMG_9030

This colorway is Guts, Grits and Pink Lipstick from CJ Kopec Creations. I broke my online yarn/fiber diet to purchase this and the following colorways.

IMG_9036

There is NO WAY I could pass up a colorway that matched Ellie!!! This one is called "Pumpkin Cappucino".

IMG_9025

I also recently purchased some purple merino/tencel from Mind's Eye Yarns in Cambridge, MA, which stuck with my "in-person-purchases-only" rule.

IMG_9026

You come here for cats and fiber, right?

IMG_9049

(Just 'cuz he's cute.)

IMG_9055

I successfully trimmed my own bangs on Saturday. You like 'em?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm glad you had feline supervision this year--keep the tradition alive!

I love your fiber stash. They look like you dismembered a car full of clowns on acid and spilled their rainbow-y endtrails on your bed! (And I mean that in the nicest way--really!!!)

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some nice stash ;) I love that Guts, Grits and Pink Lipstick!

And your bangs are cute!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wow - and you practice safe stashing too. ;)


Love the fiber that matches your kitty - which is which? =P

7:54 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

SO organised. I'm jealous.

Your fiber stash is really quite something :-)

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Wow. Who needs a bedspread when you have all that fiber to keep you warm?!?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love your Flash, but I'm really grooving on the similarity between your expression in the home-haircut pic and the portrait on the wall behind you. Was that intentional?

11:55 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love these comments...you practice safe stashing :) love!

Gorgeous everything!! That fiber is stunning! And I loved the scary shelf too..looked like lots of good stuff in there :)

1:53 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. My fiber stash is paltry in comparison. I need to fix that at MDSW. Great flash!

7:51 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That is one impressive stash! And yarn storage is how furniture *should* be used! ;)

12:02 PM  
Blogger ms. pixie riot said...

Oh, beautiful EVERYTHING! I'm actually working on two Mom Sweaters that I've had the yarn for for a loooooooong time.. one of them is Noro, too, so it will be neat to see how it knits up. It LOOKS beautiful. It's for a cardigan, so it at least won't be worn against the skin.

You're right, I DO love that one fiber. And I actually have a couple of lbs of fiber that I was planning on dyeing soon, maybe you'd be interested in something bright and splashy? As a present, of course, because I've never dyed fiber before and have NO idea what will happen! Hahaha. I have a really thick roving and some pencil roving too.

Oh and your bangs are AWESOME!

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home