ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Kitty Pi!

I made another Kitty Pi recently.

On my Ravelry projects board, and in my notes (yes, I did start keeping a craft journal this year, and yes, I am a total dork, why do you ask?) I've been calling it Kitty Pi 2: Electric Boogaloo. I remembered that I've already used that line in my second Rhinebeck post. Lest you think I'm completely lacking in originality, I've decided to refer to it as:

"She's my Kitty Pi
Tastes so good it makes a grown man cry"



Because nothing says fresh and original like hair metal, right?

Here she is:

IMG_8313

Notice how the best picture I have of it is it blocking on the top of a cake carrier. That's because the cats have been ignoring it. Well, not entirely true -- Ellie was chasing around a toy and rolling on it earlier today, but I didn't get a picture of that. I do have a picture of her in the other one:

IMG_8201

The other Kitty Pi is on the ottoman, though, to keep Ken from sharpening his claws on it. We have a scratching post for that, but he only uses that when he wants a treat. Months ago, we decided to use some positive reinforcement and give him a "good kitty boy" with a couple bits of Pounce every time he used the scratching post. Every time he uses the scratching post now, he sits and looks at us expectantly for some Pounce now.

Speaking of food. . . these cats are eating us out of house and home! They eat both canned and dry food, going through over a can of canned food a day, and a 3.5 lb bag of dry food a week. Does that seem like a lot? Maybe Zelia and Solvie just didn't eat as much. We're going to have to figure out a way to cut back on them without them driving us nuts, or we'll have two fat cats on our hands.

They are getting along much better, however:

IMG_8171

IMG_8312

I like how they bond over watching birds.

I've been trying to spin a bit more lately. There's a challenge on the knitty board - "Spin every day in February". I haven't gone that far, but I have spun twice in the nine days of February so far. That's a hell of a lot more than I've spun since last summer. I haven't been knitting so much though. I've swatched twice for Fawkes, which is the Momma-Monkey pattern I decided to knit in honor of her memory. After swatching twice, I realized that I need to go down to size 0 needles to get gauge. I have a set of size 0 Pony Pearl DPNs, but they're a little split at one point and therefore the yarn gets snagged on the tip. I also have a 32" circular size 0 needle, which is now in my Poseidon sock since the Ponies were driving me nuts. I just have the edging to go on the Poseidon sock, and then I may free up the needle for a quick break to knit Fawkes. I need a good commuter knit, and Poseidon isn't it, nor is my other ongoing project, Branching Out. I've seen people knit lace on the train, but I know my limits and know the most complicated I can do on the train is maybe a basketweave rib or feather and fan.

It's only February 9, but this winter thing? Oh yeah, I'm so over it.

I started bellydancing class last month. I'm really enjoying it, even though I do sometimes feel like a graceless clod. Sometimes I watch myself in the mirror and obsess on things like how small my head is. No, seriously, I'm pretty wide in the lower portion of my body (alright, it's my ASS, k?) and my shoulders are a bit wide too, and then my head looks like this little tiny bitty thing sitting up there. It's a little unnerving, having a tiny head. I wonder if I should have bigger hair, to balance me out. I suppose it would look worse if my head was huge and I had a little tiny skinny body, but that's the big look among the younger set, isn't it? Well, I can't change the size of my head, or the size of my hips for that matter. I've been a size 4 and still had big hips. If I had to diet myself back down to a size 4 and maintain that again, I'd go nuts though. I think I'll keep the extra 20 lbs AND my sanity, thankyouverymuch.

So, how the hell did I go from a felted cat bed to my teeny tiny head?

5 Comments:

Blogger Criosa said...

glad to hear the kitties are getting along better!

no, don't go for bigger hair to try to 'balance' things. or if you do, don't go overboard like we do at Irish dance competitions. it's especially scary on the under 10 girls.

how did you find your bellydance class? I've been thinking of trying it for a few years but haven't gotten around to finding a class yet.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Norm Deplume said...

I apparently don't love my acts enough to knit them anything. In my defense, they spend all day every day sleeping on my down comforter, so they aren't terribly deprived.

And I have always wanted to belly dance. Maybe when I grow up I'll give it a go.

8:33 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Awesome. A little hair metal in the morning to start your day off right. =)

Good to see them getting along better! Momo didn't start using the kitty pi until I coated the insides liberally in catnip. Ripple didn't start using it until Morris passed away. cats are funny. I need to make another one for Calvin. *sigh*

9:07 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I love that butt-shot of 'em at the window. Kenny boy's growing so fast!!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I love the picture of the cat bums. Cracked both me and my husband (who was peeking over my shoulder) up.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home