ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Belated Introduction!

I have a belated introduction to make. We've adopted another cat!

Introducing . . . Ellie!

IMG_8110

(Yes, that is Ken's catnip mouse from Criosa that she is playing with. She's played with it so much that I'm not sure where it's gone off to.)

IMG_8085

IMG_8084

IMG_8069

elliebarfyclose

These photos were all taken on her first two days with us. She came home on January 14, after being spayed (we adopted her on January 12). Initially, Ken was very curious and playful with her, rolling on his back in front of her and showing off, and she wanted nothing to do with him. She even attacked him when he tried to come up on the bed at night to sleep with us, even though earlier that evening they were both on the bed at the same time.

IMG_8118

It was like that for a few days. Then she warmed up to Ken and wanted to chase him and play, and he wanted nothing to do with her. His ears would go back and he would hiss and had a startling resemblance to Paul Naschy as Waldamer Danisky.

He also looked like this often:

IMG_8099

There were fights. There still are some scuffles, but they have started sniffing each other's faces and nearly grooming each other (nearly, but not yet). They have bonded over watching the birds at the feeder outside the window. The other morning a fat cardinal had them very excited.

Ellie is very snuggly and loving, although she protests if you pick her up. She's VERY vocal and will practically scream for food. She's also frigging NUTS and will spend hours tearing around the house chasing a toy. The shelter had her as 1.3 years old, and she was admitted to the shelter with a litter of kittens and went into foster care for several weeks. I think she may be younger than a year, though; after all, a cat can have a litter when she is less than six months old. She will calm down, eventually, I'm sure. Solvie did eventually, and Solvie was a bloody lunatic when she was young. Even Ken is a lunatic sometimes -- last night he was tearing around the house at top speed himself. I wish I had video of that, but we were eating dinner and the camera wasn't nearby.

In knitting news. . . well, I had a brief foray into the world of crochet. I don't have pictures, so I'll share that later, but I did crochet something! I also did two swatches for Blaze (I had to go down a needle size to get gauze, as the swatch grew a little with washing. Oh, the lessons we learn, eh?). I then cast on three times -- long tail cast on, oops, not enough of a tail to cast on all 210 stitches, start again; long tail cast on, oops, not enough tail, fuck it all, I'll knit into each stitch and pass it back to the left needle to add on stitches, ouch it really is too tight of a cast on to do the ribbing properly; long tail cast on, YES! I've cast on enough stitches, now I've knit four rows of the ribbing and I made a FUCKING MOBIUS STRIP. Oh dear. So, I decided that yarn does not want to be Blaze right now, and I have cast on for another Kitty Pi so the kitties won't have to take turns using the one we have (although it is large enough for them both to squeeze into if they snuggle, and wouldn't that be cute?).

Knitting the Kitty Pi also makes some room in the stash, as I'm using some chunky JoAnn Sensations Licorice yarn in black, grey and white. I'm not sure how the white will felt; I think it is white as in bleached and not "natural". I used the same yarn in Olive for the last Kitty Pi, and I also made my Sophie bag with the purple and orange Licorice, so hopefully it will felt in spite of the white.

I did add to the stash earlier in the month, when Batty and I went to Windsor Button to celebrate her new job:

IMG_8042

IMG_8043

IMG_8039

I got two skeins of the 127 print, because I loved the colors. I'm not sure what to make with it, though. The Regia Silk will be some fancy grey lacy socks for moi. I do seem to have trouble with socks that aren't plain old ribbed socks -- they often come out too large. Or they take forever to knit (like Poseidon, which is still hibernating). I have plenty of sock yarn bookmarked for plain ol' ribbed socks, though, and those would be a good subway knitting project, yet I feel guilty casting on another project. I'll finish the kitty pi and see what's up. I am going to try to work from my stash more this year -- I have about 1/8 of it up on Ravelry, and I really need to just clear it out. Much of it is bookmarked for projects, too. I won't even talk about my fiber stash, or my (lack of) spinning lately.

Now Ellie is knocking things over to get my attention . . . I must go tend to her.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Addiopolis said...

Ellie's very handsome, it sounds like they'll get along eventually. Congratulations on the crocheting. I finally tried it out with some instruction from some friends. I'm amazed that I probably can do it, but I may need some refresher courses. Nice kitchen table!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Ellie is such a cutie! They are on the same bed without killing each other and sniffing each other's faces... oh, they're well on their way to becoming the best of friends.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Peri said...

She has the sweetest little face and I'm sure she and Ken will soon settle - cats always find their own level.

Our little black rescue boy Conkers took to Ma's rescue kitty Jasmine quite quickly - she being a grand ole lady of 10 - took her time to size up our naughty whipper-snapper!

4:16 PM  
Blogger 3goodrats said...

Ellie is adorable! How cute both of your kitties are!

Congrats on the crocheting - I just can't get the hang of it myself.

4:37 PM  
Blogger An said...

Ellie is ADORABLE--NO WAY can she be over a year!!I just brought home a new kitten too and I'm dealing with the one minute they love each other, the next minute "fight club"--lots of fun at 3AM!
And re: blaze--I hate hate HATE that surprise moebius. Makes me want to throw the knitting out the window. To keep me from killing someone, I usually knit the first 2 rows back and forth and then join to knit in the round. I sew the ends of the first 2 rows together when I'm finishing. Keeps me sane.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Alma said...

Oh, Ellie is so pretty!
She looks very kittenish and sweet and a perfect complement to Ken's dark handsomeness.
Regia silk is very lovely sock yarn!

4:01 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Feliway. It's magic. I swear by it. One of it's uses specifically is to socialize a new cat into the house. IT WORKS. If you haven't gotten the plug-in yet - do it! You won't be sorry.

10:12 AM  
Blogger DeltaDawn said...

Pretty kitty! See there - things always seem to work out when cats and loving people are involved - YAY!

10:44 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Ellie looks so sweet! I'm sure she and Ken will be the bestest of friends before long.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

She is so cute! Congrats on the new furbaby.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Aww, she's beautiful. I love the look on her face in the second picture. A curious innocence :)

6:44 AM  
Blogger Alma said...

I just had to have another look at little Ellie. She's so pretty.
And Ken is still one of the handsomest cats!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home