ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rhinebeck 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Okay, before I get to the swag, I'll show you the only picture I got of "the people".

IMG_7517

If you see yourself there, and you have a flickr account, go and drop a note on this picture as to where you are!

I always forget to get photos of people, even when they're taking photos of me. At least Pam and Jesh have photographic proof that I was, indeed, at Rhinebeck.

Otherwise, I've got the swag. I'll start with spinning fiber, since "f" is before "y" in the alphabet.

IMG_7630

This is 6 oz of alpaca/silk from All Strings Considered. ZMrK gave it to me on Monday because I came home from work in a crummy mood (post-Rhinebeck blues? Not enough sleep? Pull of the impending full moon? Who knows?) I have 4 oz of alpaca/silk in neon green and white that I purchased from their Etsy shop. It's gorgeous stuff!

IMG_7631
IMG_7633

This is 4 oz of 80% Merino, 20% silk purchased from Fiber Kingdom. We visited their very quiet booth on Sunday and I bought this.

IMG_7635

This is very hard to capture in a photograph, but it is 4 oz Merino/Tencel and is shiny black. I bought this from Cloverleaf Farms.

IMG_7627

Mmmmm . . . this is 2 oz. baby alpaca from Burgis Brook Alpacas. The color is called "blueberry" and the blue is a little more intense in person.

IMG_7634

Photos cannot do this stuff justice, but it is 2 oz. each of lilac and lilac/white merino. I forget who the vendor was, though.

IMG_7640

2 oz. of white with streaks of primary and pastel colors, also merino, from the same unknown vendor.

Now for the yarn. . .

IMG_7643

This is superwash Aussie Sock yarn that I bought at Seaport Yarn while everyone else at Rhinebeck was waiting in line to buy some Socks That Rock. Now, I'm not one to criticize, but. . . oh, shoot, yes I am. Okay, I had heard bout the whole Socks That Rock frenzy, but I also know they can be purchased online. But. . . there was a huge line for them. We asked, and one woman said, "I don't know what I'm in line for, but with all these people here, it's GOT to be cool!" (baaaaa! baaaaaa!). Another woman walked to the end of the line with her arms, and each of her two children's arms, full of yarn and congratulated them on how good they were. When I went past after leaving Seaport Yarn and buying the awesome yarn purchased about for $13, I noticed one of her kids having what looked like what was going to become a MAJOR meltdown. I would laugh, but the woman behind her had such an "uh-oh!" look on her face, that. . . bwahahahaha!!!! We made our exit there.

IMG_7642

Merino/Nylon from Ellen's Half Pint Farm. You may recall that I bought yarn from this vendor last year, and I haven't used it yet.

IMG_7641

Merino/Bamboo, also from Ellen's Half Pint Farm. I didn't know they had this!

IMG_7646

Cascade 220. I felt a pang of guilt over buying this, because my LYS does carry it. I had a particular project in mind that I needed two tones of green for, and the best yarns I found there was the 220, so I bought it.

Here's a picture of me making a purchase:

IMG_7507

I purchased a pattern for a "Fluffy Skully" hat, by Melody Parker Narvaez. I can't find any definitive links to a blog of hers, but there are possibly patterns of her stuff up on Ravelry (if you're on there).

I don't think I have any yarn that is suitable to make this, which means it won't be made in 2007, because I'm going on a YARN DIET.

Yes, it's true, and you've heard it here. It's not about money at all -- it's about space, and about STUFF. I need to get a hold on myself, and stop buying stuff so indiscriminately. I can probably make 20-25 pairs of socks with my stash as it stands, and 6 or 7 sweaters. That's not even thinking of all the small amounts of yarn I have that I could use for one-skein projects, and felting projects, and cat and baby stuff. I'm just saying from now until December 31, but maybe I'll push it along 'til my birthday (Feb. 12). Let's start small though, k?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yeah, I need a yarn diet. Problem is, working at the shop, I build up a credit, and I kinda HAVE to buy yarn. So yeah. Automatic deal breaker there. That Ellen's Half Pint stuff is awesome. But shiny black roving! Ooooooh. Cool.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Lick My Sticks said...

Wow! You came back with quite the load! Good to see you, albeit briefly. I was so overwhelmed the whole time I was there. Me and crowds...not a good mix!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's my massive forehead in the bottom left there ;)

mmm Ellen's Half Pint. I showed remarkable restraint there but now I'm thinking I should've snagged some yarn for socks.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Glenna C said...

The STR lineup was definitely worth it for me - the shipping charges to Canada are outrageous so I saved a bundle! ;) Nice haul of fibre there, I love the pink stuff.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Yarn diet's easier than you think - I've bought 5 skeins of Malabrigo since February. That's it. And I've traded for everything else I needed.

Once you get through the withdrawal phase (and I do occasionally go to my LYS for needles and whatnot just becauase I love going there), you'll get a rush out of shopping in your closet for what you already have.

9:30 AM  
Blogger SparkCrafted said...

I saw this blend (white with streaks of primary and pastel colors) at a couple of booths and really had to hold back on buying it. I think it'll spin up lovely, though! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home