ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Blogstalking Post 1: Who Are You?

Who am I?

Am I washed-up drag queen Taffy Harris?

IMG_7235

Am I Japanese schoolgirl zombie Stacy?

IMG_7233

or am I just some weirdo chick who lounges around nekkid with her cat Ken?

IMG_6934

Ah, but I have been all three. I've been lots of things -- I've been a blonde, a brunette and a redhead (not all at once). I've been fat. I've been thin. I've never been tall, but I've been short. I think that I am your average, every day, 30-something, but one who lets the weirdo within out once in a while (or, more often than not).

I'm a dabbler, which means that I get *really* into a new thing until I reach a plateau, and then I get frustrated and drop it, thus never being more than proficient at anything (and sometimes not even reaching proficiency). I like to think of it as being "well-rounded" rather than "flakey". Over the years, my labors of love have been sculpting (figure sculpting and polymer clay sculpting), piano/compact organ playing (I had an early 70s Farfisa, which I have sold, a 60s Teischord and a 60s Fender Contempo), sewing, Arnis (a Filipino stick-fighting martial art), Swedish (yes, the language. I can say "thank you" (tack), "you're welcome" (det ver inget -- more literally, "It was nothing") and "i love you" (jag alskar deg), and can probably pick out a word or two here and there, but I'm really crap at the language), playing drums (which I was starting to get good at), knitting (which I haven't quit yet), and spinning (still trying to get the hang of it). I like knitting the most because I can sit while doing it, and I like sitting.

I love nature, and am easily amused and excited at seeing a turtle, frog, snake, salamander or toad while out on a walk. We saw four out of five today. I'm a big wuss when it comes to picking up bigger snakes, because I don't want to get bitten. Not many other people are as thrilled by my stories of seeing these critters. They're either like, "oh. . . ." and change the subject or say, "ewww. . . .gross!" (hi mom!) and change the subject. I'm so glad I have a husband who loves doing this as much as I do.

Another thing my husband and I love are horror movies. We especially like older ones (pre-90s), but there have been a handful in recent years that have won us over. Our special "areas of interest" are European films of the 60s and 70s, but we're big lovers of Japanese films too. If you have an old horror or cult film question that's been bugging you, or need recommendations, we may be able to help you out. We've got a massive DVD/video collection, rivaled by out music collection (and that is full of punk/hard rock/pop/jazz/blues/soul from all decades).

I'm a legal secretary. For years, I resisted being "defined" by "what I do", because there are so many people out there whose first question is, "what do you do" and then when you tell them they just say, "oh." Because, really, it's not the most thrilling job. But I spend 8 hours a day there, so I suppose it must define me somewhat. Basically, I keep files in order and make sure attorneys have everything they need and are where they are supposed to be. It's sometimes like being a parent, except for the fact that you get to get away them after 8 hours. Some days I am really busy and feeling really gung ho, and other days it's like watching paint peel. It is a decent way to make a good deal of money without a college edumacashun thingie. And yes, in some ways it is much like "the office".

Last but not least, I am a wife, daughter, step-mother, sister, aunt, great-aunt-to-be, cat mom and snake mom.

I also talk a lot.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

And you, are very cool.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I can see you have fun for Hallowe'en! That school girl costume is freaky, but I like the nekkid one of you and Ken best ;)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Ditto to that!! Cool!! I love finding out all these interesting tidbits about people! :)

10:36 PM  
Blogger Eryn said...

I like "well rounded" vs "flaky" - but I know I'm just a flake!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Yes, it is like being a parent!

Ok, so now I have to ask--have you ever heard of a movie called "Near Dark"?

9:28 AM  
Blogger kemtee said...

and you are our Zanti, and we love you for it.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sue, aka seiding said...

Ever gotten a really good look at snapping turtle? Very cool, but also slightly creepy.

The thing about dabbling, is that it allows us to keep learning, just for the sake of learning. That's the appeal, I think. Or at least that's how I justify my recent loom purchase!

7:46 PM  
Blogger wonky said...

Oh, that's a real cat! I thought you might also be a fashion designer who made an extremely realistic ginormous cat-dress.

You're a legal secretary? Oh.

Just kidding, imagine being a database administrator. Yeah, talk about the "oh" reaction.

Love ya, Zanti!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Well rounded v. flaky prompted much smiling in an office cube where much boring stuff is done.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bezzie... NEAR DARK had just been released on DVD in a deluxe special edition when we were first dating, and it was one of the first gifties I gave Miss Zanti!

I like the nekkid photos myself. That Ken... he just wont keep clothes on!

ZMrK

4:52 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

well rounded is a very nice option to flaky! LOVE the first picture. Classic.

10:23 PM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Macaroni and Cheese!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

You're kickass.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home