ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Snake!

Don't worry, Ophidiophobes, it's not a real snake, but one made with yarn and a hook. Does that make you feel better?

IMG_8179

Plus, he's really goofy looking, with buttons for eyes and a crooked embroidered mouth. And have you ever seen a snake done in the colors of the Swedish flag?

IMG_8180

Project: Snazzy Stripes Snake from Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
Hook Size: F5
Yarn: Old Brittany 4-ply lambswool that's been in my stash since early 2005
Started: January 1st
Finished: January 19th

This was my "I'm going to learn how to crochet, dammit!" project. I probably should have chosen something that does not have a finished size of 43" long as my first project. But it was an excellent learning experience for me, considering that I did 95% of it WRONG. No, not "different", WRONG. This is how one performs a single crochet:

Insert hook into foundation chain or stitch, yarn over and pull through chain or stitch (2 loops on hook). Yarn over and pull through both loops.

I didn't do that. I think I did something more like a slip stitch, where I inserted my hook, yarn over, draw yarn through both the chain/stitch and the loop. And you know what? It HURTS to do that for over a yard of crochet. It's really tight, and it takes forever. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, I looked at my work, briefly thought, "should I start this whole thing over again?", then I said Fuckitol! and just finished it. That last 2/3rds of the head went by really fast! As a result, the snake's head is HUGE in relation to his body.

IMG_8181

I didn't have any of the cool stuffed animal eyes that are used in the book, and I didn't have any googly eyes large enough for him, so I made my own! I just used small black buttons that have a buttonhole on the back of them (don't know the technical term for these), and standard 4-hole white buttons that are somewhat larger. I embroidered a mouth on him, which is hard to do and keep it straight. The receipient of this beautiful piece of craftsmanship (craftspersonship? craftsselfactualizingindividualship?) -- ZMrK -- does not care if the snake is a little bit wonky, he thinks it is awesome all the same.

I have no idea what my next crochet project is going to be. I mostly wanted to learn how to crochet so I could make really cute Amigurumi toys, so I think I'm on my way to doing that. I'll probably also make cute hats, baby stuff, and afghans (I miss the crochet afghans my Nanas and Aunties used to make! I know my rat Desdemona chewed one up, but I don't know where the rest are.)

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Addiopolis said...

Very cute snake. I especially like his facial expression. Congratulations on a finished crochet project. Oh, and that loop on the back of a button, it's a shank. Happy Crocheting!

10:10 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Cute! His head doesn't look that big. It just looks like, um...he's got a big mouthful of something tasty. :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

I love Snake, he has the best twisted grin ever!

You know, when I was in third grade, I also did slip stitch crochet. And then I wondered and wondered why my washcloth wasn't growing like everyone else's...

Last year, I bought Teaching Yourself to Crochet Visually. Love that book. And it tought me that there's one more step involved in a single crochet! I love the pictures and highly recommend it (not that I'm any good at crochet, mind you, so my advice is to be taken with a grain of salt).

1:42 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That is a great first crochet project! He's a very silly and harmless looking snake, which is coincidentally, how I like my snakes. ;)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

He's very cute! I like his big head!!!

Dude, after *knitting* an arigurumimimim toy, I'm with you--crocheting is the way to go there!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Very nice job on your first crochet project! So cute! Great eyes too.

11:44 PM  
Blogger kemtee said...

I see nothing wrong with Mr. Snake. I just wasn't aware that there were snakes in Sweden. And that they could be issued passports.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Mr. Snake could be like the one in The Little Prince and is in the process of swallowing some yarn. really fun piece!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

AAAAAARRRRGHHH! SNAKE!

Just kidding. I love snakes. Especially crocheted ones.

He's very handsome. As is Ellie, and Bug and I declared simultaneously that we love the name! She looks like an Ellie.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home