ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

No Way Around It, Kids!

It's my birfday!!!

Today is the day -- I am FORTY YEARS OLD. FORTY. Can you believe that? If you had told me, when I was 18, that I'd be doing a blog post at age forty I would have said, "1. What the fuck is a blog post? and 2. I ain't gonna be alive at forty!" But, here I am, alive and somewhat well (I think I'm coming down with something, but I'll be okay).

To celebrate 40 years of ZantiMissKnit, I thought I would do a nice little photo recap of my life. Of course, I can't find one of my photo albums of my family pictures, so I can't show you what I looked like as an infant. I dug up the earliest photo I have of me:

scan0001

No clue how old I was, except that I was under 4. I was blonde, too! With brown eyes! That's not terribly common, you know. Most of us go dark as we get older (like I did).

scan0013

That's my cousin SueAnn and I, one Easter. It was between, say 1980 and 1982, I would say. I have a hard time telling ages, and you can't tell by looking at my boobs, because I've been wearing a bra since 3rd grade and was a 36C by 7th grade.

scan0010

The back of this photo said it was developed in January 1983, and it looks like it was taken around Xmas, probably 1982. I had a really ugly and awkward stage, and even though I offered this photo as proof, ZMrK still doesn't buy it.

scan0004

This was taken the day of my 15th birthday party, in 1984. Can you believe I thought I was fat? Can you believe I did that to my hair? The other girl was my bff at the time, Elisa, whom I long ago lost touch with.

scan0009

Here I am, in 1986, 16/17 years old, rockin' that John Hughes character look. That, of course, has to follow with:

scan0001

Not my actual senior picture, but one of the ones that didn't quite make it. This was my Facebook profile pic for a while. It cracks up my nieces.

You know what comes next, right?

scan0003

FUCKIN' A, PROM!!!!! My date and I recently reconnected on Facebook, so I had to post the pic for his wife and kids to see. Here's another of us; I think it was his 18th birthday, the year before:

scan0002

Y'all have seen me make that same face, several times, haven't you?

Here's my so-called life as a so-called suburban punk kid (in my late teens):

scan0002

scan0003

scan0012

and a pensive moment of me at age 20, in my jammies:

scan0005

It wasn't long before debauchery set in:

drunk1

Then I moved to New Orleans, and really had some fun:

scan0007

scan0006

(You know when you do something bad on Rubberneckers or LSG, and the mods come in and get all bold text and sexy with you? I always imagine then in this post, with a spiked heel and riding crop on someone, smoking a cigarette through a telescopic cigarette holder. See, I've always had a love for lots of props. I was going to join drama club in high school, but decided to get an after school job instead. I still have a love for the dramatic, especially when it comes to photos, and I'm glad that I usually have friends willing to go along with it.)

I was blonde again, for a couple of years:

scan0008

This was taken on the Pacific Coast Highway, somewhere between LA and SF.

scan0011

This was in Orlando, seeing the Woggles. Yes, it was hot as all get out.

Wow, I've got a few years missing here. . . like, 2002 up through this past November:

100_1452

Fuck you! I'm dyeing my hair!

But I figured you have been seeing photos of me since 2005 or so, so you know what I look like.

But I will leave you with a photo taken 2 months ago, of Ken and me in front of the portrait ZMrK commissioned 2 years ago.

portrait

Happy Birthday to me!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger pigbook1 said...

Happy birthday!!!!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, what a great collection of photos. You've had the same smile all along. Happy birthday!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Happy Birthday! Great pictures! Hehe..I may have had some of those hairstyles too ;)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Happy birthday, hon! Based on those pictures, you've always been adorable!

(And seriously, if you put a gun to my head, I'd never guess you were 40.)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I was blonde and brown-eyed as a child too. I think I lost the blonde hair in my early 20s.

Happy 40th!!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Happy Birthday! You're oh, so (6 weeks) older than me, so I'm glad to see it won't be too bad to turn 40. And, you're younger than Jennifer Aniston if that helps :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Kim U said...

Happy birthday!

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! You're so adorable, especially in your Molly Ringwald phase ;)

11:28 PM  
Blogger Mike H said...

Beautiful from day 1!

I love you more than everything.

5:31 AM  
Blogger darlene mcleod said...

Happy Birthday, Zanti!! You've been a doll all along, and you still are!! You are so going to ROCK 40!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Addiopolis said...

Happy Birthday! Have an awesome weekend. That's a super photo-bio. It's always fun look back and see all the changes. I'm looking forward to hearing about birthday fiber fun. And, totally, 40?! whah? You're rockin' it!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm a day late - Happy/Happy!! :D LOVE the trip down memory lane, way cool!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Happy birthday, bay-bee!

I hope it was smokin'. (Just like you...and OH, those photos brought back memories...yikes. I was a Suburban Punk, too. *snicker*)

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday (although past tense, now). I hope the day brought you many smiles and the occasional moment of debauchery.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Happy Birthday!

I think it is fabulous that you have all these pictures!

(Willow is a brown-eyed blonde as well!)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you!

Wow, you really went for it with the Molly Ringwald esthetic, eh? But it suited you. :)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

That was the fucking BEST blog post EV-UH.

You're the girl I would have secretly longed to be, back in the day. And still.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Rabbitknitz said...

Happy Birthday--saw your blog name and it rocks. I just watched season 1 of "The Outer Limits" with the episode 'The Zanti Misfits' (yay Netflix) and your blog name clicked for me. You rule! And it's your birthday!!

7:32 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

(Psst...you need to retake that last pic. Your portrait totally has more cleavage kickin'.)

11:09 PM  
Blogger mehitabel said...

Great pictures! The scary thing is, I have a collection just like that. Only mine? Are my kids! Yeah, I have a 40-year-old daughter, and some of those photos could have been lifted right out of our albums.
Congrats on reaching the big 4-oh, and here's wishing you lots more years!!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home