ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Knotty Knotty!

I am a knotty knitter and did not knit a gauge swatch for my Knotty But Nice hat.

The first hat was, shall we say, a wee bit large.

100_5939

Hey, I had nowhere to go, nothing to do, so I just cast on again, and about 24 hours later, I had a new, improved, Knotty but Nice hat!!!!

100_5940

I figured out what I could do to make it smaller. I did the initial p2k2 in needles two sizes smaller, and I eliminated the 7 rows of ribbing after the chart. I also eliminated a couple of the rows while decreasing for the crown. I sure beat the hell out of that yarn + needles combination!!!

I was so overjoyed that I didn't want to take it off. I acted as though it was MY hat, in addition to being MY triumph.

100_5943

Forgetting that I had, indeed, promised this hat to another.

100_5944

Often, in our moments of supreme exhilaration and triumph, it becomes necessary to neglect the wretched and needy.

But I was nice, in the end, and took off the hat. I know it's his, and I know I can make one for myself if I really want to.

I even put it on top of his dresser for him.

100_5948

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Addiopolis said...

Great photo essay. Wonderful hat!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

After that thumbs-up picture, I really wanted one where you giving the camera the finger. Just sayin'.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! You guys are nuts--love the hat.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Thanks for the laugh - I read your post out loud to Andrew and Willow :) (And it's a great looking hat!)

6:44 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Hee! Great FO shoot. Love the hat. The mods are perfect!

7:22 AM  
Blogger 3goodrats said...

I just made one of these too! It's a great pattern, but the gauge is total guesswork - notice that the gauge listed in the pattern is over stockinette stitch, yet there is no stockinette in the pattern at all. But it's a fun project, and yours looks great!

7:35 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

3goodrats, I thought that 120 stitches with worsted weight yarn on size 7 needles was a little bit large, even in ribbing, for the gauge I usually get. I'm also a fairly loose knitter. It's a matter of being able to read your own knitting, and adjust patterns to suit your own gauge.

Now, if I can translate that attitude to sweaters, maybe I'll be able to knit one that isn't huge on me.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Love is when you give him the awesome hat you knit, just like you promised you would.

Do you have enough yarn to knit yourself one too?

9:57 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I sure do! I still have the unfrogged too-big hat (which makes a nice tea cozy, actually), and about 3.5 more skeins of the yarn!

I knit up a swatch and I'm going to see if it felts.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Sungopolis said...

I love these pictures - such heartbreak, such anguish, such triumph. It's glorious.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home