ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Friday, January 13, 2006

Oops, some yarn fell into my shopping basket!!!!

Today I brought my friend Linda to Windsor Button to introduce her to the wonderful world of knitting. Oops, some yarn fell into my basket! I'll post pics later if I get the chance. It's Crystal Palace "Fling" yarn in various shades of pink ribbon hanging off it and some gold lurex thread in it. I also got a skein of Lion Brand Thick n Quick in white. I've had a vision in my head for about a year of a "flamingo" scarf but have never found the right yarn for it until now. It may be a Christmas present for someone next year.

Here's the Week 2 Review of the Knitting Pattern-a-Day Calendar patterns:

Monday, January 9 -- Georgia's Bandanna -- It's a neck kerchief for a 60 lb. Black lab! This is cute and the picture of the black lab in a red neck kerchief with a tassel on the end is pretty adorable. Of course, I am all for dogs in bandannas and sweaters (in Massachusetts, most dogs need sweaters). There's instructions for small-dog bandannas too, so I may be able to make some for my sister Nancy's poodles, but I don't know what size Dianne's fat pug Daisy's neck would be. I'd maybe make this.

Tuesday, January 10 -- Toesties Garter/Rib Slippers. The 70s knitting magazines I inherited from my Aunt Ruthie have DOZENS of patterns just like these. It doesn't make these any less adorable. This is like old-school knitting, yo. I have only a couple of issues with slippers with a knitted sole: (1) they can be slippery; I would hate to make these for someone and have that person fall down the stairs; (2) I made a pair of knit booties for Mike and me -- his (done in Wool-Ease, 80% acrylic, 20% wool, I think) have held up well whereas mine (done in JoAnn's Sensations thick-n-thin 100% wool) have worn out on the foot. Moral of the story: get some faux-suede for the soles, and do not use 100% wool!

Wednesday, January 11 -- Julia's Stole. The picture depicts a stole in neutral colors, which I think I'm allergic to. I find the instructions a little confusing as well (it mentions silk in the pattern sequence but does not mention silk in the materials). I wonder if there is an errata website for these patterns? The more I look at this, the more I think it would be a lovely gift for somebody, perhaps my MIL -- if I could figure out the pattern, and had nice colors that would go together.

Thursday, January 12 -- Nona's Baby Jacket with Hood. I'll be honest. Unlike many other women my age, I am not baby-crazy. They're cute (at least most of them are), but I hit the snooze button on my biological clock years ago and must've shut the thing off in the process, because I have no desire to have a child. So, knitting things for babies hasn't crossed my mind (the nieces and nephew are too old). That being said, this is a pretty cute little jacket for a one-year-old. I may pass this one along to a co-worker who knits for her grandkids.

Friday, January 13 -- Felted Coasters, Hot Pads, Beverage Jackets. These rule. I know, it's the little things, isn't it? I have a near-fetish for bar stuff and used to impulsively buy every bar item I found at a thrift store, flea market, or yard sale, resulting in a lot of weird stuff (ex: I have a light up "Schlitz" globe lamp!). These coasters will use up the ends of skeins left over from Sophie bags (I made three of these -- see http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sophie.htm for the pattern), and I'm sure I will use these as an excuse to buy large amounts of Cascade 220 (hey, felted coasters would make a GREAT housewarming gift!). I'm not as keen on the beverage jackets (cozies), because what if it felts too much and is too small??? What do you do with it then?? The hot pad is a good idea too, but a hot pad isn't a coaster. I love coasters!

Saturday/Sunday, January 14 & 15 -- Opal Child's Poncho. This looks a little like "That 70's Poncho" from Stitch n Bitch Nation, except it has a hood and is for a child. I think I have already made it clear what I think about adult ponchos (DON'T. DO. IT.), but I think this is cute for a kid. The colors are nice too (two tones of pink with blue). I may pass it along to that nice lady in my office who knits for her grandchildren.

That's it for this week's review! Feel free to leave comments, whether you agree or disagree with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home