ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Knitting Pattern-a-Day Week 6 AND Week 7 Review!

Here's the Week 6 AND Week 7 Review of the Knitting Pattern-a-Day Calendar patterns. Due to my vacation and apathy, I never posted last week's review. So, here it is, for those of you who actually read this.

Monday, February 6 -- Natural Pillow. Ugh. It's not even that it's ugly; it's just. . . Boring. Neutral. "Safe". It looks like something from a WASPy relative's house, where I would find it covered in plastic sitting on a white leather sofa that is also covered in plastic, in a room the kids and dog aren't allowed into. If it were in my house, it would be covered with black and orange cat hair and dotted with red wine stains. Maybe my recent love for burgundy and dark purple stems not from current trends but for my love of red wine, and my tendency to spill it. Hmmm. . .

Tuesday, February 7 -- Kokonut Baby Cardigan and Hat. Yeah, it's cute. It's a double-breasted baby cardigan, with a matching hat. In a fuzzy yarn that would be a pain in the ass to work with. Aren't those buttons choking hazards?

Wednesday, February 8 -- Kokonut Baby Cardigan and Hat continued. . .Dude, the kid is still choking on those buttons.

Thursday, February 9 -- Felted Beret. This looks cute and is probably easy to make. I wish the picture was better -- like, maybe a front view? Also, how about a little bit of color?

Friday, February 10 -- Himalaya Ribbed Wrist Warmers. There has already been a wrist warmer pattern (a couple of weeks ago). I don't think there's much difference between this one and the last one, other than the yarn used. So I will say this is redundant.

Saturday/Sunday, February 11 and 12 -- I'm Twining For You Socks. Tvaandstickning! I've recently learned about this Swedish technique (translates to "two-strand (or two-end) knitting"), and do really want to try it. There are so many sock patterns out there, and so many socks yarns, and unlike *other patterns* (I'm looking at you, Himalaya Ribbed Wrist Warmers), so many of them seem different. Viva socks!

Monday, February 13 -- I'm Twining For You Socks continued. . . Still pretty nice.

Tuesday, February 14 -- Folk Art Knitted Heart. Cute, and easy! Nothing earth-shattering, but I'd probably make these to put on presents.


Wednesday, February 15 -- Musique and Fizz Poncho. A little less offensive than most ponchos, but still a poncho. And I took the no-poncho pledge! But it looks almost elegant on the mannequin, but would probably look like ass on a person with real boobs and hips.

Thursday, February 16 -- Opal Knit Belt. This is okay, but doesn't thrill me. ZantiMisterKnit will probably chime in on how ugly it is though. It looks like something he would hate. It's pretty hippie-ish, and sadly, fits in with many of the current styles right now.

Friday, February 17 -- The South Slocan Scarf. This is a pretty gorgeous looking lace triangle scarf which I will probably attempt at some point (and take years to complete)

Saturday/Sunday, February 18 and 19 -- The South Slocan Scarf continued . . . What more can I say?? Gorgeousness!

Score!

Okay, dudes. . . remember that grande idea I had to keep "score" of how many of each kind of pattern there was, and keep track of which patterns I love and which ones I hate? More trouble than it's worth. I need to spend my time knitting and creating, not keeping track of patterns like a freakin' football pool. I think y'all can tell by my descriptions whether I love, hate, or am indifferent to something. So take my words to heart.

Oh yeah, and. . . I hate throwing shit out, so I haven't thrown out any of these patterns yet. If there is one in particular that you want (that is, that I'm not keeping), drop me a line. I think it's legal for me to give 'em away, right? As in, here's a page from my calendar, it's just a haggard poncho pattern that I don't want, it's yours. Maybe I'll ask for an SASE or something. And, I respect the opinions of others. You might like something I hate. You might hate something I like. Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe. I will not ridicule your opinion, not even behind your back.

All in all, I think it is still worth the $6.99 I spent on it (a hint from one cheap-ass to another. . . never buy calendars before January 1, 'cuz they go half-price at the chain bookstores immediately!).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I can't hold back... that knit belt makes me want to strangle puppies! Haggardisn't a strong enough word... just... Yeech. Hippies should NOT knit!

I agree... the socks pattern looks like it's the most challenging and the coolest. Plus, I know someone that would get a lot of use out of a pair of wooly warm socks! *ahem*

Your scoring idea was just plain crazy... who has the time or interest to catalog such things... making charts and tallies and... oh... yeah...

XOXO... ZMrK

4:36 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

wait until you see next week's thumbless baby mitts, my dear . . .

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hardly contain myselffff!!!
(To be said like Stimpy)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

I have that calendar, too. Look forward to more of your reviews.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home