ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Human Failings

So, this is a story that has been hitting the Ravelry world this week. 

I'm not going to address the issue that everyone else is talking about -- the fact that many people invested emotionally in this story and gave support to the people (or, as it turns out, person) involved, only to find out they have been duped for shits and giggles.

No, I'm going to address the issue as it hit me:  this person had time for what, three, four different sock puppet personalities on Ravelry, and to create a storyline that went on for almost a damn year involving these people, and I don't even have time to BLOG???

Well, fuck me running.

Remember when I used to blog, like, every day?  I know that sometimes I would blog boring stuff (like when I was "reviewing" the pattern-a-day calendar patterns just based on sight alone and whether or not I would try to make them -- I think I got my first flounce from this blog when I stated that I wasn't going to do that anymore; someone had been following to see what I said about her pattern, which was coming up in a week or two, and decided that if I wasn't going to say anything about it, she didn't want to read my blog anymore.  But, really, that was such a boring aspect of my blog and it was just me trying to get my feet wet in the blogging world -- which, by the way,  I keep wanting to type as "flogging" -- and I don't feel I had found my voice yet.)

One of the issues I had with blogging is that I was boring myself.  How many posts can I make that say, "hey, look at this fucking knitting project I am working on?  I got two more rows done!  Can ya tell? Huh?  Huh?".  I was also reluctant to deviate from the original purpose of the blog -- knitting -- into other aspects of my life, which is where our nature blog came from.  And yeah, that's pretty much Mike's blog now anyway, since I became the queen of one liners on Ravelry and Facebook and just didn't have time to really blog anymore.

But I have lots to say!  Really!  I post shit on Facebook ALL. THE. TIME, and you know, some of that stuff is brilliant but it's just short little bits of human observations that generate a bunch of comments for, like, a day or so and then everyone forgets about it and moves on to sharing George Takei's photos.

What's up with these people whose Facebook activity is limited to sharing George Takei's photos anyway?  Do they have any thoughts of their own?  Or are they just afraid to post things that would be attached to their name because future potential employers would be googling them and looking at their Facebook account.

I kinda realized that I am probably completely unhireable due to my social networking.  I mean, I have my profile just about as locked down as I possibly can, well, for Facebook, whose security is more or less shit anyway, and the other day I took a look at it as it appears to an outsider.  Which is okay, I guess, although the current profile picture of my reaction to the smell of Big League Chew Ground Ball Grape isn't terribly flattering.  I guess you can see my photos, which may not be the best thing ever.  I think what will really fuck me is that my "Favorite Quotations" section is completely public.  I mean, it could be worse, but it is kinda bizarre. 

Let's take a look at it:

Favorite Quotations

"I had a heady brew of 4 snake species' musk on my hands, we had sunburns, and were toast! ... But we loved it!" - Mike Howlett, May 15, 2012, in a blog post on one of our herping trips.

"Nothing says, "Romantic Herp Outing" like nerodia musk." - Me, in a private message, on 11/27/2012.

"Nice School Bus, Bitch" - from this video at 1:07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCXaMNQOOFM

"Winnie the Pooh doesn't wear pants -- why should I?" - King Louie Bankston to his parents when he was a little kid (probably in the 70s)

"I had one of those sun lamps. It was great, but don't ever look directly into them. I thought you had to look into them for them to work, and had sun spots in my eyes for a week after." - an attorney I work with who has TWO degrees from Harvard.

"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright
 
****

Yeah, these go in reverse chronological order, as I added them, so you can see that I started all serious with the Frank Lloyd Wright quote, because I want people to think I am such a thoughtful, serious, well-read person and that does not make me sound like a pretentious git or anything.  Then, of course, as I get more comfortable, it gets more and more silly, because, what I really want is for people to know what they are getting themselves into when the talk to me.

Except do I really want future potential employers to know about my friend Louie not wanting to wear pants, or my obsession with snake musk?

See, these are all part of my human failings.

****

Oh, I almost forgot something!  The funniest thing about this "Pretending to be human" fiasco, at least to me.  In a conversation on Facebook about this incident, one of my friends said this,

"I do wonder is she's also the girl in a Dayton suburb who claimed she was basically being held hostage by her one-armed fiancee."

That struck me as so funny that I spent all day laughing about it, then last night I told Mike about it, and I was STILL laughing about it.  I don't think I'll put it in my favorite quotations because, well, I really don't know.  Is it as funny taken out of context?  You know, I bet it is.  But do I want future employers to wonder why I have a quote about a woman being held hostage by her one-armed fiancee on my Facebook profile?  Is it more bizarre than snake musk, or less? 

5 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

Ho. Lee. Shit.

I missed the drama somehow (must be that "running around after a toddler" thing). I had NO CLUE that was the "that thread" people had been referencing on Twitter.

Wow.

10:11 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I had no idea it was happening until I saw the Google doc. I haven't spent much time on Twitter lately, and I hadn't been following the thread.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first read the thread and they were casually talking about grand jury proceedings I backed out and placed the thread on ignore. Oy.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Sometimes I forget it's more than just copyright issues and alongs over there. Aren't people amazing?

12:22 AM  
Blogger Fujiyamamama said...

Whaaaaaaaaaat? Ugh.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home