ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 12, 2012 - New Hampshire Sheep and Wool

On a beautiful, bright, sunny Saturday morning, we headed out to Deerfield, New Hampshire for the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival.

The Deerfield Fairgrounds were a new location for us, and I believe for this festival. If the festival didn't have a sign pointing into the driveway going into the fairgrounds, we would have missed it and ended up driving all over Candia and Deerfield. The driveway was loooooong, and the parking lot huge. I thought, "This place is huge. They must be trying to expand it, hopefully adding more vendors and making it more like Rhinebeck." It turns out, I was wrong.

There was the usual array of gorgeous hand knits:

DSCN4458

DSCN4465

DSCN4463

And beautiful yarn:

DSCN4460

DSCN4461

DSCN4462

DSCN4486

And fiber:

DSCN4486

There wasn't a whole lot of WTFery going on, but Mike did find this glove that looked as though it would fit a Planet of the Ape foot:

DSCN4468

As you could probably guess from the fact that Mike is wearing a t-shirt, it was hot. This particular festival, which is always on Mother's Day weekend, often experiences cold and rainy weather, but sometimes it is beautiful. This day, technically, it was beautiful, but one complaint about the festival was the lack of shade. The walk from the parking lot to where the vendors actually start (which was a bit after the festival gates, and we both had to pee wicked bad and the bathrooms closest to the gates were CLOSED -- WTF is up with THAT?) was, as I said, long. It was also completely unshaded. They should really grow a few trees around there.

After many text messages and calls that I didn't get because the fairgrounds seem to be a dead zone for AT&T, I met up with my friend Lena and her friend Janice. We were all starving at that point. We stopped for Apple Crisp -- an annual tradition for us -- to ease our pain:

DSCN4467

IT WAS MELTING FAST!!!!! EAT IT QUICK!!!!

DSCN4466

I had pretty much purchased all that I was going to buy:

DSCN4513

The two on the ends are Nightingale Fibers Ernestine (sock yarn) in Red Head (had to!) and Hadspen Blue. The other two are Mad Colors Fiber Arts Verity (DK weight) in Midnight Oil and Land of Oz (these two are planned to become a Mordor shawl).

Yes, these photos were taken on my lap on the way home from the fairgrounds.

DSCN4514

I also purchased two bars of peppermint soap, but did not include them in the photograph. Those should be wonderful at the height of the summer.

There were some cute animals there, too! We all climbed aboard the Monorail Alpaca:

DSCN4471

This alpaca reminds me of a Keane painting:

DSCN4473

They are such adorable teddy bears before they are shorn (and after, too, but you know what I mean!):

DSCN4474

These llamas would not take their eyes off a border collie that was close by:

DSCN4484

There were some baby goats:

DSCN4491

And one trying to make a jailbreak:

DSCN4487

Plenty of sacked-out sheep saying, "I'm hot":

DSCN4502

DSCN4499

DSCN4496

DSCN4509

And a curious sheep as well:

DSCN4506

Mike thought I was going to leave him behind:

DSCN4501

But I was just in a hurry to get back to the bathroom before we left. I found him waiting for me by the fountain that was a source of torture when we had to pass it to get to the bathrooms that were CLOSED.

DSCN4510

DSCN4512

Then we were on our way home. We did make a pit stop in Andover, MA, for a quick nature walk, which Mike blogged about here. He's a much better blogger than I am. We got home, exhausted but happy.

This weekend is the Massachusetts Sheep and Wool in Cummington (hee, hee), MA!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike H said...

What a great day that was!! The jailbreak goat was a real favorite!!!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Darx said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again :) Sounds like a great day.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home