ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Friday, June 16, 2006

I'm Not Dead!

Really! My hands haven't fallen off either!

I've had things to post but have been too lazy to take pictures. Either that, or it has been too gross and rainy/dreary out to take pictures. As it turns out, we took the pictures inside anyway.

Top News: I finished ZantiMisterKnit's socks!!!!!

(Warning: the following pictures have a snake in them. She's very cute, but consider yourself warned if you are squeamish about snakes.)



The yarn is Schoeller Stall's Fortissima Disco in color # 9051.

The pattern is the "Garter Rib" from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. It requires a little more concentration that regular ribbing because you alternate by knitting every other round.


I used two balls of this yarn for my husband's feet, which are a US size 11.5. I used Clover Size 2 US bamboo dpn's.

I started them sometime around the 2nd week of May and finished them on Saturday, June 10. Yeah, I needed a break in between the two socks.




It should come as no surprise that my current WIP is on Size 15 US needles. It's the "Lagoon" purse from Eva Wiechmann's book Pursenality Plus. I cast on for that on Sunday, June 11, and even though it is going to be a pretty fast knit (double-stranded worsted weight on size 15 circular needle), it's knit in stockinette and therefore, a tad on the boring side. I can't wait to get to the decreases!!

And because this blog is ultimately about me:

I finished my first Wardrobe Refashion project!

The skirt is, indeed, refashioned. I cut the bodice off the first dress I ever made, which is now too big for me but was an empire-waist minidress with a keyhole right below the collar (not quite giving a glimpse of the rack but there to let you know. . . oh yeah, if you get close enough and look from the right angle, you might see rack). I was really big on 60s style when I made it (and can probably dig up pics of me wearing it, since I wore it to the 2000 Las Vegas Grind). Anyway, I cut the dress down, resized it, put in a 7" zipper, did my best to finish the seams because this 100% cotton pique shreds every time you wash it, and voila! New skirt for summer!

I made the shirt from New Look Pattern # 6176, View A, from some 70s pink, brown and black roller skating fabric that I got off eBay.

Modifications: I used ribbon for the shoulder straps and back tie (sorry, forgot to take pics of the back view!) because sewing a long strip and then turning it inside out takes more patience than I have. I bought the plastic bits for the shoulder straps so they are adjustable (fancy!). I also had to add a couple more darts and make it a little smaller; I guess I'm a little smaller than I thought.

And I made buttonholes! For the first time EVAH! And you know what? I have no clue what I was intimidated about all these years: they are easy! Easy peasy even!



This picture is not to show you my rack, or my bra, but to show off the detail of the fabric, which I think is ADORABLE. I have a bit left and am trying to figure out what to do with it. Maybe mix it with some of the pink fabric (I still have some, from when I made the aforementioned pink dress back in 2000) and make a purse?

How about a kerchief?



Solvie likes to "help" when I am sewing. Which means she sits on the pattern pieces and the fabric. When I don't have things on the floor, she lies on the floor and hangs out with me.

I really thought she would fight wearing the kerchief, but she seemed to rather like it and posed nicely with it. Except she looks like she is being strangled in this picture.




It fits my head too, although a little tight, but it looks cute. Maybe I'll wear it.

Future projects: McCall's M4829 in view D (which is the middle one in the picture of the three views), in a spring green cotton pique much like the pink of the skirt. I bought 4+ yards a few years ago at $1.98 a yard (yay Winmill Fabrics!!!) and have only used it to make my Lorax purse for the Dr. Seuss Swap. I began cutting out the fabric pieces tonight (and yes, Solvie sat on the pattern!)

I also have a big men's Hawaiian shirt from the 60s or 70s. It's a little butt-ugly, but I have a weird attachment to those. I'm trying to think of a way to make it into a skirt, keeping the button-down aspect. I might try to combine it with some brown twill (if I can find it!).

Happy Weekend Everyone! It's supposed to hit the 90s here on Sunday, and it is about freakin' time!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some cute animals in them thar pictures! And a durn nice rack!

And swell projects, too!!

Me loves my sox!

ZMrK

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home