ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Knitting With Dolemite!

Okay, not really, but I got your attention, didn't I?

My friend Carolyn was visiting from Amsterdam, and we had made plans to meet up at the Middle East bar in Cambridge. She called me back immediately:

"I need a knitting refresher. Can you please bring some needles and yarn?"

I related her request to my husband, who said, "Do you have any yarn?"

Funny guy, that Mike o'mine.

So, I gave Ca a knitting refresher course at the Middle East. 'Twas fun, and the bartender was intrigued. He told us his girlfriend knits (if you're out there, out yourself, chica!).



I only gave the crash course on casting on, knitting, and binding off. It's a little difficult to teach a right-handed person knitting from a left-handed perspective. Or maybe it's just hard for me to teach, and I am masking my shortcomings with my lefthandedness.

Here's a pic of us not being confused by yarn and pointed sticks:





Oh, yeah, that's nice, right? BTW, the scarves are both handmade acrylic knits by the respective wearer.

Later, Mike and I went to the Coolidge Corner to see a special screening of "Dolemite: The Human Tornado" presented by Rudy Ray Moore. Mike took this gem of a pic, where I appear to be pushing RRM's glasses into his head. It was fun, we got him to sign our copy of "The Human Tornado", plus another autographed pic of him. He's incredible soft-spoken and chill when he's not behind a microphone talking about p*ssy.

If you haven't seen "Dolemite: The Human Tornado", you must. It is absolutely mind-boggling. Please keep in mind: it was meant to be a comedy. His stand-up is puerile, but I never did claim to be high-brow. I don't even know what would count as high-brow comedy; probably something I'm not smart enough to "get".

I'm going to take this opportunity to plug the Coolidge Corner Theatre. It's really the best theatre in the Boston area, and Clinton (who works there and is behind the getting of all these great midnight movies, as well as the 3-D fest last summer) does a fantastic job getting these crazed films. If only he would keep up on his Boston Cult Movies list on Yahoogroups!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, RRM huh? I just finished watching Petey Wheatstraw, and here I am browsing blogs. Imagine my surprise seeing him plastered on yours. I gotta say he's aged pretty well. You look like you're having a swell time.

Necia

5:03 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

He does look pretty good, even though I've always thought that he looks perpetually stoned!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home