ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Copyrights and Photos

There has been an ongoing discussion about copyright law on the Patterns of the Past Yahoo group. It seems as though a woman posted on her blog about her daughter taking a cell-phone photo of a pattern in a yarn store; their defense is that they "bought $30 worth of yarn" and didn't want to pay for the pattern as well . . . or something like that. I don't wish to say more, or give any names or blog addresses, because I don't want to become embroiled in this matter.

All of the talk about copyright caused me to take a good look at the copyright notice on my Knitting Pattern-a-Day calendar, and it expressly forbids any duplication of the calendar. Which means, to me, that I was violating their copyright by scanning the photos included with the pattern and including it with my reviews. I apologize for this violation, and I have removed the photos from my reviews. I didn't think initially I was doing anything wrong -- I didn't include any charts or any pattern instructions. I think now that I have.

As far as I know, I can still conduct the reviews, just sans photos. If anyone thinks that is a violation of the copyright, please let me know and I will cease the reviews.

5 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Hm I wonder about the pictures because sometimes people will post on their blogs a picture of the pattern (not the pattern itself) and the yarn they are going to make the pattern with. And you should be able to review the patterns... it's just like reviewing a book on Amazon. But I guess if I were in a yarn store, I wouldn't be taking pictures of all their stuff! My 2 cents...

11:59 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:00 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I've gotten permission from one of the designers to post all of the pictures I want, so I will probably do so if and when I make the scarf/shawl she designed.

Your post came through twice, thus the deleted comment.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can't post the pictures, complete with silly looking models, who can I make fun of?!

ZMrK

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dagnabit! I was gonna wait until you reviewed my....er....thing and then I was gonna sue the pants off ya for using my photo. ;o]

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home