ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Various Stuff and Week 11 Pattern Review

I haven't knit much this weekend, the reason being that I'm a little disgruntled with Odessa. I'm doing something wrong and I'm not sure what it is. Most of my yarn overs look more like dropped stitches, going into a sideways pattern; it's a little neat looking and I'd keep going that way, except there are a few spots when it looks as though I performed the pattern correctly, so it's a little half-assed. I don't think it's the YOs I didn't do correctly, but knitting the stitches that were added from the YOs in the next round. It's hard to explain, and I have a hard time putting visual things into words so I won't try. So I am either going to (a) ignore where I did it correctly and keep going with how I am doing it, ending up with a very different hat than I started out doing or (b) frog it and do it right. I have plans to make a 2nd one for a my neice, so maybe I'll do hers right and mine wrong. I also have a vision of putting the beading in the dropped stitch instead, but that would also involve frogging and I'm hoping to avoid that. I tell myself that every knitter frogs once in a while, or, okay, several times, but I feel so lame-o doing it. I have to remind myself that I'd rather have something done right, even if I have to restart it several times, that I piece of knitted shit on my head. So I'll have to make the decision soon.

In place of knitting, I've been doing a lot of polymer clay sculpting this weekend. Some of it is top-secret, so I'll post pictures once they are done and given to the recipient. Of course, some of it is for us, and I made two of some things. :-)

I really would like to make some pin-ups girls out of polymer clay too. I need to work that out.

Without further ado, here's the Week 11 Review of the Knitting Pattern-a-Day Calendar patterns.

Monday, March 13 -- Lacy Shawl or Poncho. I'm kind of glad I am no longer posting the pictures of these, 'cuz I've been dreading this review. It's the reason why I think nobody over the age of 12 should wear a poncho. Ponchos and boobs are a bad mixture, like computers and corpses (Kudos to anyone who knows what 80s Italian post-apocalypic horror movie I just referred to.) I think that even as a shawl, it's merely meh. It's probably pretty easy though.

Tuesday, March 14 -- Intertwined Cables Scarf. The ribbing at the neck part of this throws me off, but I think that it's there for fit purposes. I really like the intertwined cables; they look sharp and would probably be a fun (but challenging!) knit.

Wednesday, March 15 -- Intertwined Cables Scarf continued. . . CHARTS!!! Two of 'em!!! This pattern looks like more of a challenge than I initially thought. I may feel brave enough one of these days to make an attempt at it, and after frogging and couple of times and swearing (a LOT), I'll have a really sharp looking scarf.

Thursday, March 16 -- Mohair & Cotton Poncho. Seriously, y'all, two ponchos in one week is too much for me to handle. Oh, yeah, Monday's could have been a shawl too, of course, but in the past two years I have seen more patterns for ponchos than I have seen people wearing ponchos. The fad needs to be put to bed.

Friday, March 17 -- Innis Sweater. Nice sweater that looks like lots of work. The model in the photo really amuses me, but blogger won't let me post it right now (fuckers. . . ). I'm guessing she is the teenage daughter, and her mom woke her up to model the sweater for the picture. She looks (a) disgusted or (b) bored. Cheer up! You're wearing a cool sweater!

Saturday/Sunday, March 18 and 19 -- Innis Sweater continued. . . No bored model, just charts and more directions.

6 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

I frog lots if that makes you feel any better about it. Examples:

I have a purse that I've frogged 3 times (and is off the needles yet again!). I was working on a sock yesterday that I had frogged when it was 7 inches, then frogged the toe 5-6 (I lost count) more times yesterday before setting it aside to try again today. I had to frog large sections of a scarf one time due to not paying enough attention to the (very simple) pattern.

It is okay to frog! Think of it as getting that much more quality knitting time with the yarn.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frogs are cute! Particularily Red Eyed Tree Frogs! Oh... wait... wrong subject...

If I may... Monday's poncho is HAGGARD!!!!! It had to be said! Oh, and kudos to me... I know your Euro-trash film reference! (duh!)

ZMrK

4:57 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

Speaking of frogging, I recently frogged a lacy baby shawl that I had been working on for over 4 weeks because I ran out of the double stranded yarn. I've since separated the 2 strands and paired that yarn with a different colour. The new shawl should be done in another 4 or 5 weeks.
I can't keep quiet, any longer, while you trash ponchos. Although I do agree with your review of March 13th's, I find them fun to knit and cozy to wear. As a matter of fact, I've made so many I've lost track. VIVA PONCHOS! lol

1:52 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

oh, duh! I just left you a comment apologizing for accidentally rejecting yours! But I was able to salvage it!

Let's agree to disagree regarding ponchos. ;-)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm converted. Ponchos, maybe while not for me, seem like they'd be pretty warm and comfy!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

Works for me.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home