ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Odessa Files (a cry for help)

I know there are people who read this besides ZantiMisterKnit (and he'd help me if he knew how to knit), so I'm hoping someone can let me know what I need to do. Yeah, I'm a dumbass.

I think I have already answered my (somewhat daft) question, but I'd appreciate some confirmation. It involves this pattern:
http://www.magknits.com/feb06/patterns/odessa.htm

The pattern is:
Plain round: *ssk, k6, yo, k2, repeat from * until the end of round.Beaded round: *ssk, k3, BK1, k2, yo, k2, repeat from * until the end of round.

This is my first time doing (on-purpose) YOs. The instructions I used (from Stitch n Bitch) were to "knit a stitch, bring the yarn into the front", yada yada yada. So, using those instructions, I believe I added an extra knit stitch.

For example, I did this:

Plain round: *ssk, k6, yo (meaning k1, bring yarn to the front, perform the YO), k2, repeat from * until the end of round.
Beaded round: *ssk, k3, BK1, k2, yo (meaning k1, bring yarn to the front, perform the YO), k2, repeat from * until the end of round.

What I think I should have done is this:

Plain round: *ssk, k6 (bring yarn to the front after 6th k stitch), yo (meaning perform the YO), k2, repeat from * until the end of round.
Beaded round: *ssk, k3, BK1, k2 (bring yarn to the front after 2nd k stitch), yo (meaning perform the YO), k2, repeat from * until the end of round.

If you can confirm what I did is correct, I'll resume knitting. If you can confirm what I think I should have done, I will un-knit (I've only knit four rows of the pattern; it shouldn't be hard).

I sent this question to the pattern author, but she didn't understand it. I don't think I'm the best at asking questions; as I said, I think I was supposed to do the latter, and will probably un-knit it.

Thanks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

Hi! I think if I understand correctly, you didn't do it right the first time. A yo only involves the action of bringing the yarn in front and then around the needle and to the back to resume knitting. You don't count any extra knit stitches in that.

Check out www.knittinghelp.com for some videos of the yo--that might help. Good luck!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

i agree with meredith. you don't knit1 then bring yarn to the front. yo just means bring yarn to the front for the yo then continue with what they tell you to do next.

8:16 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Thanks!! I just finished UN-knitting the 3-1/2 rows I had worked on it. I'm too sleepy to knit now, so I'll work on it tomorrow.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

By performing a YO you are adding a stitch but the ssk decreases a stitch so you're back to where you started.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home