ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Knitting Pattern-a-Day Week 8 Review

Here's the Week 8 Review of the Knitting Pattern-a-Day Calendar patterns.

Monday, February 20 -- Trio Bolero. I like this, but would like it better in a solid color with contrasting trim. The multi-colored yarn is nice, but I have enough things that only go with one other thing in my wardrobe, and think this would make a nice "go-with-anything" bolero, perhaps in black and white? (I know, me, hater of neutrals, suggesting neutrals! Never try to figure me out -- you won't!) If a dear relative emailed me and said, "I would love one JUST LIKE THAT", I would make it in these colors, but would much prefer it in a solid. I just looked at the yarn (Trio by Crystal Palace) online, and see that it's a tape yarn, 50/50 nylon/poly. It comes in some nice colorways. I can see some potential here, especially for spring or cool summer nights. Just stay away from open flames.

Tuesday, February 21 -- Thumbless Baby Mitts. A good way to use up leftover yarn, these take 1/2 oz. of either sock weight or sport weight, depending on what size you make. I can't see a 6 mos to year one kid keeping these on unless you staple them on them (which is. . . probably not a good idea), but maybe I just don't know a lot about babies. Don't newborns often get put into those cocoon-like sack things which makes them not require mitts? I'd also be afraid of a kid somehow strangling him or herself on those cords. Should they come with a hat made out of a plastic bag?

Wednesday, February 22 -- Victorian Beaded Tea Cozy. I am under the impression that many modern knitters dismiss the tea cozy. After all, how many of us have teapots? Don't we all just brew it by the cup? I *love* tea cozies, and I love this one. It is so pretty, and the set up of the picture is so elegant. Bonus: the instruction for "Push up bead" is abbreviated as "PUB". A person must love a pattern with the word PUB in it.

Thursday, February 23 -- Easy Hat. "Knit in one piece on a knitting machine." Knitting machine?!?!?! Sacrilege!!! (If I had a knitting machine myself I may change my mind.)

Friday, February 24 -- Icelandic Silk Boucle Scarf. This is one of those projects that is probably a beautiful FO that suffers from a not so great picture. It's a seed-stitch scarf done with a beautifully colored hand painted silk yarn. This is something I'd consider making as a gift.

Saturday/Sunday, February 25 and 26 -- Inca Inspired Adult Vest. Interesting charts on this, and a really nice color combo. I like black, white and red together. I'm not a big vest fan, but this could probably easily have sleeves added, and these charts could easily be incorporated into another pattern.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

The mitten cords are supposed to be run through the coat's sleeves so the mittens dangle out the ends. I suppose, for safety's sake one could sew or pin the cord to the inside of the coat. Certainly is easier than hunting for the mittens when you're running late.LOL

5:09 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

You're right, and I'm silly. I don't really know much about babies. I had mittens with cords when I was little, but that's more of a toddler or kindergarten age. I always thought babies just had the all-in-one cocoon thingamajig.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

That all-in-one cocoon thingamajig is called a bunting bag. I knit those too. LOL

2:55 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

How much yarn would it take to make one for a 5'4" average-sized woman? Those babies always look so toasty!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home