ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, April 23, 2006

If at First You Don't Sock-Ceed, Knit, Knit Again!

ZantiMissKnit's (Miss)Adventures in Sock Knitting

Chapter 2, Ann Budd is my Co-Pilot

I did it!!!!! I made a sock that fits me perfectly!!!!

I used the directions from Ann Budd's "The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges" for socks for a foot with an 8" finished foot circumference and LOOK! It's perfect!!!

(Picture shows "good" sock - on my left foot -- next to my first sock attempt, which is huge, baggy, and sad.)


I hope that I can merge these directions in with all sock patterns, and this will help me resize them for my own skinny little feet. I recommend this book for everyone. I bought it from Amazon last summer, and didn't use it until now because the multiple size instructions looked more intimidating than they are. Now, I think I will use it for everything.

I used so little yarn on these, that I'll probably be able to knit most of the cuff of the second sock (yes, I have started the second sock) from the rest of this skein before I frog the "bad" sock. I started the cuff on 3 size 3 dpns, and switch to 3 size 2 dpns about 3.5 inches down and knit the rest of the sock on the size 2s.

I knit most of this sock in the car. ZMrK and I went to lovely and scenic Camden/Rome, NY, on Friday, stayed overnight at my FIL's house, which is a beautiful house with lots of nature around. They practically have a bird sanctuary in the backyard. We saw tons of robins, mourning doves, black-capped chickadees, 2 kinds of woodpeckers, flickers, red-wing blackbirds, cowbirds, juncos, sparrows and blue jays. I know I forgot some. We also saw a young deer wandering about, a woodchuck that keep popping out of its hole, and, at the pond across the street, leopard and pickeral frogs, spotted salamanders (newts), small fish (of course), and a really ambitious garter snake sunning itself in the 68-degree weather. ZMrK did catch the snake after its attempts to swim away (it swam along the shore). It had some really pretty blue-ish spots down its side, and tried to bite ZMrK's nose. He put it back and it swam away, this time towards the center of the pond.

But, back to me -- I made a sock!!!

A really pretty, self-striping, ribby, warm and comfy sock!

I can't get into the sock knitters' club until I make a pair of socks, however. I have heard of the Second Sock Syndrome.










Today was an ucky rainy Sunday. I used the Jordy tutorial on Craftster to make this awesome purse.

The turtle fabric is from an old hospital johnny I found at Savers. The handle is some red corduroy fabric I had (also from a thrift store, I think). I cut the fabric 10x10, so the purse is pretty small.

I think it would be a good "I don't have to carry much" weekend purse, don't you?

I love the cartoon 70s turtles! I still have small amounts of this, and plan to make some appliques with them, and maybe combine the fabric will denim for other purses (for which to sell from a future Etsy shop).

3 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

i'm so jealous you can sew!! that bag is awesome... i love love love turtles! and the sock looks great! i'm so glad you were able to make it fit.

7:50 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

It's ummmm . . . Lion Brand Magic Stripes, I think. When I post the finished 2nd sock, I'll make sure the label gets into the picture!

Thanks!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yipes! Stripes! That sock is fantastic! I can't wait to see you skipping around with the pair! It won't be long!!

That turtle purse is cute beyond compare! And your readers might be interested to know... there's an even CUTER one that hasn't been posted yet!

Impressive stuff... as always!

ZMrK

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home