ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Spinning Me Softly

I spun a bit this week:

IMG_4646

IMG_4647

Spinning is a challenge. Since I've only been at it less than a week, I'll cut myself some slack and say that, the more I practice, the better I'll get.

A couple of the problems I'm facing: loosening my death grip on the fiber, pulling small enough bits out to spin without fuzziness, and avoiding overtwisting of the fiber.

When I started knitting in November 2004, I had a death grip on my needles and knit so tightly that I once got sock yarn knotted on a pair of Addis so tightly I couldn't even slide it off and had to cut the yarn and frog it (a year later). I dropped stitches, I increased without knowing it, and I was scared shitless of cabling. I think I'll get over my problems with spinning, with time, experience, and knowledge.

5 Comments:

Blogger LaBean said...

You're off to a good start! It will take time. You've got a good wheel there!!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! Think "baby bird" when holding your fiber. Don't drop it, but don't crush it either.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Abigale said...

You've definitely got the right idea! And you are so right - you will get better with a bit of time and experience. Just practice a little every day, and before you know it, you'll have beautiful yarn that you made from scratch. Treasure that first yarn - it's really nice to be able to show newbies later on, and say - see I sucked when I first started too! LOL At least that's how bad my first yarn was!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I have no clue on spinning, but for your first it looks good. Sounds like you have some good help and classes too! Look forward to seeing more of it! :)

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you realize that the yarn's not going to go for your throat if you relax, things get a lot easier. You're doing really well with your spinning. And I love the photo of you and your cats in the last post.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home