ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, June 15, 2008

So sue me.

I know I've really sucked ass at posting the past couple of months. Part of it is the lack of knitting content -- how many times can I show that Branching Out scarf progress without y'all wanting to throttle me? -- and part of it is me saying, "fuck, it's nice out -- I don't wanna waste time on the computer! Let's go out!"

We started going to last year's haunt, Ponkapoag Pond, in mid-May and have been trying to go every weekend. Saturday we spent six hours there. We walked around the pond (it's a 4.1 mile loop), and went down the boardwalk and back (about 1/4 mile each way) and took a couple of little side trails that were probably 1/8 - 1/4 mile each. Whew! It was a gorgeous day, so it was perfect. Some of that walk is uphill, and uphills always kill me.

We also went to a party last night at a friends' house. It was crazy crowded, and me, being socially awkward, drank probably more than I should have but still it was only about 3 beers. Then had a piece of cake. Thankfully I went to the party on a full stomach, or the damage could have been worse, but I felt like shit until about noon today. I should have reminded myself of the time I went out to a show at a bar in Allston, O'Brien's, on Halloween and had several beers and lots of candy -- stuff like Sweet Tarts (or was it Smarties)? I had this vile pure liquid grey/black puke the next day. I got off much easier this time around, maybe because I am ten years older and did not get stinking drunk, but the grey/black puke did come to mind. I'm definately too old for that shit.

Penny Karma left a comment on my blog saying she'd love to get drunk sometime and hear some of my stories. That has gotten me thinking -- should I make that a feature on my blog? Do y'all want to hear stories from my wild youth? Keep in mind that I've never done anything spectacular like be a superhero, but I have known some rather interesting people. I think my tolerance and my reserved nature (really -- don't laugh!) attracted the crazies. They always had an audience who wasn't going to be competition, you know? I've also worked with a few people who were out of their fucking minds too, and I'd like to tell those stories.

I do have something to share right now, but if you are someone who can't even look at a picture of a snake without freaking out, you just might want to leave this page now. The rest of you can scroll down.






I'm the Snake Whisperer.



Saturday I saw this guy by the path at the pond. I tried to catch him, and he got away, but on his second try ZMrK was able to catch him. He musked the shit out of ZMrK (and me, a little), but didn't bite. Musk is their defense -- they squirt out some really foul-smelling shit, and I guess it tastes nasty too, prompting the critter who presumably picked it up with its mouth to drop it.

He calmed right down, and when I took him, coiled onto my hand and more or less fell asleep. It was pretty crazy. He didn't even dart away when I put him down. ZMrK moved him to a more obscure area near where we found him, to let him wake up a bit before he got snatched by a hawk or something.

Pretty cute though, right?

OH, and Batty -- I'll be in touch with you about the knitting lunch date!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! I love the snake! But I think ZMrK is part mongoose--he caught it and he caught all those lizards on your vacation too. Amazing!

7:08 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Do you know what kind of snake that was? That's pretty cool you were able to pick it up pet it like that. I wouldn't have gone near it but hey, it's not a turtle. =P

7:18 AM  
Blogger 3goodrats said...

Yes, tell some stories!

I'm with ya on the knitting content. It's too warm to knit and the only thing I've been working on recently is a gift so I can't blog about it. It's a delicate balance to keep blogging but not bore the crap out of people.

9:11 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

That thar's a garter snake. Harmless poison-wise, and usually pretty laid back if you get a hold of one.

You can see how relaxed he is...lookit his tail just all flopped over.

Dude, at the end, I totally thought you were gonna shove him in your mouth and say, TA DA! and take him out again.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Like PK, I too would like to get you likkered up and hear stories of your misspent youth.

Bring it!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Another vote for crazy stories from ur yute!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home