ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'd be smiling too

IMG_0080

Took that picture on a vintage crawl with Lindydiva and her hubby.

Things are going well here. I got my mojo back, a little, and am working on a feather and fan scarf for a Christmas gift. Baby steps, you know? I've been spinning a bit, but the spindle spinning doesn't work well with the fan on and shit. I purchase a huge vintage hatbox on said vintage crawl which current holds about 75% of my sock yarn. I just can't open it or it will explode. I can now get into my stash hutch without fear of bodily harm. I've been working on spinning, and beer greatly helps with that <=burp!=>

I really fucking miss New Orleans right now, to the point where, if the opportunity presented itself, we'd be moving there. Ever feel like that about any place? The hot summers do that to me, because I know they won't last here, and I know there I'm guaranteed 95 degrees, 95% humidity from mid-May til mid-October. I just love that wet hot blanket that hits you in the face when you walk outside. I miss the anoles. I miss the FOOD, oh my fucking God, the FOOD. I miss being able to buy hard liquor at Walgreen's. I miss ABITA IN EVERY FUCKING BAR IN TOWN, as I seem to have to go to Allston to find it. I miss to-go cups. I miss that sickly-sweet smell of peaches and rotting vegetation that seems to be there, all the time, but especially in the summer. I miss houses falling down under the weight of the cat's-claw ivy. I miss that weird metallic sound that may just be some kind of tree frog, or cicada -- I never figured out which. I miss the sea of frogs on the sidewalks that one encounters in the late summer. What's up with that?

Summer will be over in a month and a half. I need to use my time wisely.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Krysstyllanthrox said...

I may not be from New Orleans, but I am from Louisiana. I miss it BIG time right now. I know the heat and humidity makes people miserable but it reminds me of home so much.

I get my mom to ship me stuff every so often so I can get 'real food'. What do you miss the most, food wise, that could possibly be found online? I know some places to look.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that way about the North Shore. It's a physical ache, sometimes, especially when I take a moment to pause and quietly reflect on the fact that I despise the house we're living in now.

We'll be moving in less than a year.

Nawlins has its charm, too, and if family were closer it would be higher on my list of possible places to relocate. Pascal's Manale bread pudding... mmmmmm...

11:50 PM  
Blogger vickyd said...

Boy can I relate! My DH and I moved from New Orleans to Georgia about a year ago and if the opportunity presents itself I would move back in a second.

Weather-wise Georgia isn't tremendously different but I miss the culture, the people, and just the "feel" of New Orleans. I miss being called "baby" even though I am in my 40's.

Hopefully...one of these days we will be back.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I've never been to New Orleans, but I frequently get the same feeling about missing Japan. There is no way I could uproot my life now an go back there - but trust me, I dream about it all the time.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

You know where I miss...;-)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've also never been to New Orleans - though I'd like to! But, as probably everybody knows, I have those feelings about Seattle. The mountains and the Space Needle are almost enough to make me tear up and I am *not* a crier.

And I AM moving back! I'm so excited and happy, but at the same time there are things (and mainly people) that I'm really going to miss here too.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I would explode if I missed a place so much as all that. I think that's why I don't travel much. I love new england.

What is stopping you from going back? Life's to short to not be where you want. OMG am I too preachy or what?

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home