ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Spinning Stuff!

The other night, I wound my most recent 2 ply into a pretty yarn cake.

IMG_9806

IMG_9805

I also knit up a swatch with it.

IMG_9823

Sorry for the crap-ass picture. My camera was being moody last night.

I'd love to make socks with this (I have about 400 yards in 3 separate skeins), but I'm afraid of their durability. This yarn is . . . hm, how should I put it? This yarn is not even. In some sections it is around a heavy fingering weight, in others near lace. I can probably work things so the lighter weight parts are nowhere near the danger zones on my feet -- heels and toes. I also probably could double up the yarn in the thin parts. I washed the swatch this morning, and will measure it when it's dry. If not socks, what else should I make with it?

I also started another spinning project over the weekend.

IMG_9802

It's this stuff that I got at the CT Sheep and Wool Fest. Corriedale, merino, and silk, I think, with gold tinsel thrown in there. It's really soft and smells nice.

I had some friends help me out with this weekend's spinning.

IMG_9791

IMG_9778

The Abita Jockamo is pure perfection. I love Abita, and I love IPAs, so it makes sense that I love an Abita IPA!

The Monty Python beer has a great cap though.

IMG_9780

I'm not sure if I kept the cap or not, but it would make a great magnet or a button. Back in my wild youth, us punk rockers used to wear beer caps on our leather jackets. Oh yeah, I owe you stories, don't I? I'm such a tease. I have one in mind, but it's a little racy for me to type out on my blog while I'm at work. . . keystrokes and such. Do companies really keep track of that stuff? Well, not racy, but indicative of some of the degenerates I've hung out with over the years. I'll do that this weekend, because I'd hate to keep mentioning it and have y'all be disappointed when I finally start telling stories. I'm going to aim for one story a week, as the mood hits me. Okay?

Oh! I got these really cute stitch markers too!

IMG_9820

Tree frogs!!!

IMG_9814

Snakes!!!

IMG_9809

Turtles!!!

Check out this little trucking turtle dude:

IMG_9811

(Pay no attention to the black cats hairs underneath said trucking turtle dude.)

Aren't they adorable?? I got them from an Etsy seller called Yarn Lust, who has many more that are just as cute!!!

Oh, yeah, I also got more yarn lately. I blame my downstream Secret Pal, because every time I buy something for her, I buy something for me.

I was purchasing "things" for her from KnitPicks and decided to pull the trigger on one of the laceweight samplers. If only I could knit lace as fast as I can purchase laceweight! Here they are:

IMG_9769
IMG_9767
IMG_9766
IMG_9758
IMG_9757
IMG_9768

I don't know which is which right now, so I'll come back and tag them later!

I also purchased some tweedy sock yarn:

IMG_9755

And, because my total was something like $48.10 and $50 gets one free shipping, I went trolling through the clearance and found this laceweight for $1.99.

IMG_9754

Considering how much fiber and yarn you know I already have, and how long it takes me to knit anything, much less lace, you'd think I'd be done, right?

Wrong.

IMG_9771
IMG_9770
IMG_9772
IMG_9773
IMG_9777

(the 1st and 2nd pics, and the 3rd and 4th, are both respectively of the same yarns. . . just so you know there was only three yarns in that purchase.)

A local yarn shop, Mind's Eye, was having an anniversary sale so I strolled in and bought the above. I've since made another purchase at another LYS, Newbury Yarns, but I don't even have pictures of those yet.

I think I may only buy equipment at Rhinebeck, like carders and stuff. No fiber. Do you think that's feasable for me? Or should I just make 2009 my "yarn diet" year?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

AH.....yarn!

Yesterday I walked into my LYS for a yarn swap.

Left two skeins...walked out with five! :">

You're not alone.

4:48 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

TURTLES!! They're so cute!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I love that blue stuff you're spinning. It reminds me of a forget me not.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Your pink and green yarn is GORGEOUS! I just had to shout it from the rooftops.

10:50 PM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

You have PROBLEM, ma'am. That is just way too much fiber for one person and for one sitting. I'm recommending you for some counselling!

5:16 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Yummy and more yummy.

OMG! Is it wrong to feel so much better about my stash after reading that? There's envy and there's relief I'm not the one being envied. How f'd up is that?

Do you ever go to Mind's Eye's spinning nights?

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home