ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Voting!

Yup, I voted this morning!

I was nervous about going. I had heard the speculation about voter turnout, 2+ hour waits, etc. I was hoping to leave my house fairly early, but didn't get out until about 7:20 (which, truthfully, is about 15 minutes earlier than I usually leave and is really the time I SHOULD leave).

The polling station is about a 5-8 minute walk from my house, at the police station. The community center, across the street, had HUGE lines and I almost went over there, thinking the turnout was so great they decided to move it. I then saw the "Vote Here!" signs on the door of the police station.

I went in, checked in, and didn't even have to wait for a booth. Oh, and we didn't have curtained booth, just the four corners with divisions. Not really private, I guess.

The ballots always give me pop-quiz-anxiety flashbacks. What if I fill in the wrong oval? Can I get a new ballot? What if I forget to fill something in? Damn, how do I know what my score is? Well, I guess that depends on who and what issues win, right?

Then there is checking out and submitting your ballot. I always get confused, as if it is the first time I've voted (I admit, I didn't vote the first time I was eligible [in 1988], and my first time was in 1992. I scored well that election.). My anxiety comes with putting my ballot into the slot -- what if it is a paper shredder? What if this is all some big practical joke? What if I do SOMETHING WRONG?!?!?!

At any rate, I got to work on time. It was suspiciously easy.

I'm not going to tell you how I voted, because I was brought up not to discuss religion or politics outside of the family ("because you'll always offend someone with your views"). I will say that I do feel a high level of anxiety regarding this election. No matter who wins, there are going to be many unhappy people, and some of those unhappy people are total nutters and could do something. Yes, I am talking about things like riots and assassination attempts. Let's hope for peace, k?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger 3goodrats said...

I just came back from voting. There was a line, but not very long. I have that same pop-quiz anxiety and fears about marking the wrong thing. Glad I'm not the only one! :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Good job, well done :)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

EVERYone has that anxiety, I think (I always check and double-check before I submit my ballot).

No line for me, either, though there was one when I left!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home