ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Sunday, January 22, 2006

New Post! With Pictures!!!

Yeah, too tired to think up a catchy title.

Yesterday I finished a skirt that I had first started back in September. Yes, it got put aside by the advancing winter, but I didn't have much more work to do on it. I used a red and navy houndstooth lightweight corduroy that I got at a thrift store about 5 years ago, and lined it with a red taffeta-like fabric to give it a little bit of body.

Sorry that the rug is a little smutsig*; Solvie's scratching box is nearby and there's always little bits of cardboard on the rug, no matter how much we (meaning: Mike) vacuum.

I forgot to get a pic last night -- I wore the skirt, with some red suede boots and a red vintage Givency sweater (thrift store find for a couple bucks!) to see Muck and the Mires (favorite local band!!)** and Mooney Suzuki (I was on the fence about them until last night, but they put on a fabulous show). Back when I was sewing more often, I loved to "debut" an outfit at a show and the loved accompanying "oohs" and "aahs" and "you made that?!?" comments from people. I miss that!! Malibu Lou and Lisa were impressed by my skirt; they were the only ones who were told that I made it. I've got to start plugging myself a bit more, especially if I'd like to start making stuff to sell.

I have a small amount (3/4 of a yard, perhaps) of this fabric left, and I'm not sure if I am going to make a small, 60s-style beanie (I've got a pattern from the 60s of about 6 different styles of hat), or a small purse. I'm leaning more towards the hat because I have too many purses already! HOWEVER, if I want to sell purses, it pays to be your own advertisement, doesn't it?

Sweater Update!


I'm almost done with the left front side of my cardigan, which means I have only the right side and the two sleeves, and the neckline to do! Okay, maybe "only" isn't the correct term, but I'm almost halfway there! I took a picture of the progress, in a nice bright 12:20 p.m.-on-a-Sunday light. Notice my geniusness of using a little tropical canister that I got from Bath and Body Works to hold my yarn while I knit. I wind it myself; I have a yarn winder but I don't have a swift. I use my dress form as a swift and very carefully wind the yarn. It's not as efficient as a swift, and I'm not that good at winding yarn. That canister keeps my yarn from rolling about, and it's big enough for my yarn, needles, row counter, and work-in-progress.

I just re-read this paragraph and realize that I REALLY need to get out of the house more often.

What's up today: Subway for lunch, Karm's coming over and we'll watch . . . something. We have three of her movies, Pirates of the Carribean (my vote!), School of Rock, and Signs, so we'll probably watch one of those three.

* Note that I used the Swedish term for "dirty". I used to always use "schmutzy", which I think is Yiddish (correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds Yiddish), until I was learning Swedish and came across smutsig. I wonder which derived from which?

** I'm very happy to note that the new Muck and the Mires CD will be out in March, and that "I Never Got Over You" WILL be on it! I woke up with that song in my head, and have been flipping between that and "Don't Let Her Get Away" all morning (or, the two-and-a-half hours I've been awake.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home