ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

On the edge of a Flounce

What a sad little blog I have. I give my readers an open mike -- the opportunity to say ANYTHING at all -- and I get three comments. *sigh*.

So, what do I do now? Do I just flounce and close the blog altogether? Do I go completely batshit crazy with the blog and post the most random shit ever, to the point where anyone who stumbles upon it might think the blog has been taken over by a spambot? Or do I just start posting more often, with stuff that is of interest to potential readers, hoping to gain some readers back?

I think I'll take door number three for now.

I'll introduce to you some Knitting Content:

100_1443

This is the progress on my Dickinson [Dickenson? Dickinsen?] Pullover. I think I spell it differently every time I type it. Oh, well, if anyone still uses Google and not Ravelry to look at projects made from popular patterns, with all the spelling variations I've used, it should turn up. I have both the front and back done, and am about 5 inches from being done with one sleeve. My goal is to have this done by Thanksgiving. I still have a ways to go (another whole sleeve, seaming, collar, and blocking). It's for me -- I'm a selfish knitter -- but I have a feeling my mom is going to want one too.

Here's the part of the photo that should be of interest to ZMrK:

butt

It's mah butt. He noticed it after he took the photo. This is in case y'all didn't believe me when I said I have a shelf butt.

I also plied some of my handspun this past weekend:

100_1486

It's only about 70 yards, and I have another bobbin and 1/8 of a bobbin to go. I had spun the singles back at the end of June. I plied it with some gold thread from the craft store, and I will get a better photo over the weekend, when I have time to photograph stuff when there is light outside.

Okay, plying. Plying is a pain in my shelf. See, I spun the singles clockwise, so I have to ply them counterclockwise. Getting the wheel to turn counterclockwise while making sure both plies are being fed in nicely can make me cry. It takes FOR-FREAKING-EVER. Plus, I just can't get it going cold. I have to spin some singles counterclockwise to get a rhythm going, and then I have almost NO BOBBINS to use. Well, I still have a spinning disaster on a bobbin, shoved into a drawer. I suppose I had better get that crap off. It's the worst stuff I ever spun, and I lost the end somewhere in there. Twice. I started the process of just cutting a new end, and unwinding it, and then lost the end again. It's some superwash stuff that I dyed myself, and I don't really like how it spun up. It's so bad I contemplated tossing it, but decided maybe I can use the bits and pieces for some arty yarn later. I just need that damn bobbin to be clean.

The above photo is part of my project 365. I need to take a photo every day for 365 days. It's supposed to be a self-portrait, with at least part of your body in it. I decided that I really need some good lighting, and to get a little creative with it (hence, the handspun on my head -- oooh, I'm so artsy!).

A couple of my other self-portraits:

100_1452

I call this one, "Fuck you! I'm dyeing my hair."

Here's the end result of that dyeing session:

100_1471

Yup, the bitch is back! I'm a redhead again. Last night I added highlights, but they're fairly subtle. I'll have to take some photos in the sunlight this weekend. I really would love a blonde streak in front, but I think I'll wait until it's a bit longer to do that. I've been feeling like having more glamorous hair lately.

Okay, so y'all convinced me not to flounce. Or did I convince myself? I'll try to post more often, and if I find something that I can part with, maybe I'll run a contest. Contests are a good way to get readers, right? Bribery, you know. Then I can tell another really inappropriate story and have all my readers flounce again.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

See, the open mike thing scared me. Just like the word "improv" coming up in my acting classes. I go completely blank.

The Dickinson is lovely - that's a LOT of cables!!! And I like the red hair, too.

Oh, and I CAN. NOT. get my HitchHiker to spin backwards for plying. I have to use my Ashford if I want to ply. So I feel your pain.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

You don't want a notorious loud-mouthed discontent like myself saying whatever comes into my mind on your blog. It is a sign of respect that I slunk away into the darkness covering my hands with mittens to keep from typing into so tempting an opening.

I love your blog and your uniqueness does shine. Don't change a thing.

I adore the hair dying pic. You are a stunning red head!

12:13 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Funny, I could get Pam's Hitchhiker to spin backward just fine. It was the forward that was the hard part. =P
Love the hair!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read faithfully, except my life is soooooo boring right now that I had absolutely nothing to say for your open mike. I didn't want to scare your readers away further. ;)

I love your new hair!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I can't wait to see what the finished pullover looks like - I love cables - and redheads, too!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ooo...great job getting it so red--what color did you use? You've got fairly dark natural hair right? Mine is too but I can never get it that red. And that's the red I'm always aiming for (and fail to get!)

I dig plying...you do have to find a groove though.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I'm with Pam - I couldn't think of anything interesting to say.

That sweater is looking great. I can't wait to see the finished project. So many cables!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the comments. No one comments on my blog either, but sometimes, I get a few and it doesn't totally suck anymore.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Red is good. You look great!

And "selfish knitting"? Nah, you've got to knit more for yourself, not less. (Of course I haven't knit much of anything for anyone since the spring...but I'm trying to make up for it.)

We'll compare new Selfish Sweaters. I'm bogging down on the intarsia on my Hope sweater...no rhyme or reason to it, fair isle is much easier!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait. There was inappropriate storytelling? And I missed it? *That* might be worth a flounce.

I like the red. Has anyone at work noticed yet? I'm still riding on a grand total of ONE who has noticed my haircut. Le sigh.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jscothammerquist said...

Hey there !
11 posts is quite an achievement !
I would have opened a bottle of champagne if it happemed to my blog. But then again I am a poor poster.
Judy

3:05 PM  
Blogger karmellah said...

i think you should post naked pictures.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home