ZantiMissKnit

YO! ZMK Knits!

Monday, October 09, 2006

Introducing Tempting II

Woohooo!! A new sweater in under 2 months!

Here she is. . . Tempting II from Knitty.com.


Pattern: Tempting II from Knitty.com

Size: Small (to fit a 32-inch bust!!!)

Yarn: handpaintedyarn (from Uruguay, acquired through eBay) -- 2.75 skeins of pink and black and about 1/3 skein of black. It's 100% wool (merino, I think) and is pretty much Malabridgo under a different name.

Needles: size 8, 24- and 36-inch circulars, dpns

Date started: Around August 19, 2006

Date finished: Week of October 2, 2006

I'm not 100% pleased with how this came out. It's really warm and soft, but I think it is a little big and swear that it grew during the day while I wore it. I also think that worsted weight sweaters can make me look a little thicker in the waist that I really am.

I made the small, because I have gotten into the habit of making sweaters in the size smaller than I would normally wear. The small is for a 32" bust. I have a 36" bust. The pattern author (who is modelling it) is about 5 feet tall and 100 lbs. -- I'm not making this up as she has said so on her own blog -- and probably made the XS for herself. I did not dare make the XS because, at 5 foot 3 and one quarter and about 135-140 lbs., I shouldn't be able to wear an XS.

I'm not crazy about the "minimal finishing" that all of this author's patterns seem to have. I believe her stuff is lovely, and this is certain not a diss on her and the techniques that obviously work well for her, but I feel it's easier to just sew the pieces together, rather than knitting nearly everything in the round (and much lighter to lug around!). It just seems more straightforward to me, and you can add to the fact that my picked up stitches almost always suck some major ass. This pattern did not call for picked up stitches, however. You connect the neckband to the bodice by stitching the last stitch of the neckband and the live stitch on the bodice together. You can really see where I did that -- on the outside. The inside -- can you dig it? -- looks perfect. Maybe I should wear it inside out.

The bottom line is, I'll see if I warm up to it, and if it doesn't stretch out more. If it stretches out more, it's getting frogged and made into something felted. Or I can just get fat into it. I think I'm on an accessories kick for a while, in spite of the lace camisole I'm still working on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

woo! i like it a lot. the colors are so fun! but of course, no one likes a sweater that grows during the day... maybe when it's cooler out you'll like it better.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! The color is great on you.

9:52 AM  
Blogger SuzannaBanana said...

It's Shocking Parallel Tuesday!

-I was going to be May for Halloween a couple of years ago, but I thought nobody else would get it. "Why is Suzanne wearing a butcher's apron and dragging a rolling cooler around behind her?"

-I live in the same alternative universe when it comes to Buffy. I refuse to acknowledge the last two years of the series. I also refuse to accept the last season of Angel, and the last half-season of Highlander: The Series. All three shows had strong, natural concluding episodes, but then didn't go ahead and friggin' END already.

-We're the same size, and I've also recently accepted that I should always knit the size 32 sweater for my size 36 bust.

That's a cute sweater, but I know what you mean about the growth factor. I had the same problem with Tubey, which I don't think is going to see much more wear in its current form. It looked good for the first ten minutes I was wearing it, then it all went bad and never recovered. Frog, I say. Frog!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home